Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
From our founding in 1972, Fenwick has been committed to promoting diversity and inclusion both within our firm and throughout the legal profession.
For almost four decades, the firm has actively promoted an open and inclusive work environment and committed significant resources towards improving our diversity efforts at every level.
We actively recruit diverse attorneys – race, gender, sexual orientation, physical ability, geographic/cultural background – through numerous channels, including on-campus initiatives, minority bar associations and job fairs. We believe that a diverse workforce helps us serve our clients better and fosters an environment of cooperation, respect, creativity and mutual understanding in which everyone thrives.
Fenwick has implemented a number of initiatives to support and encourage our diversity and inclusion efforts, including:
- Diversity and Inclusion Committee: To refine existing diversity programs as well as plan and implement innovative new diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Women’s Leadership Initiative: Focused on building the leadership, management and business development skills of our women attorneys.
- Diversity and Inclusion Leadership Initiative: Partners commit to fulfilling a variety of diversity-promoting action items throughout the year.
- Bar Association Activities: To promote the advancement of diversity and inclusion initiatives in the broader legal community, Fenwick attorneys chair key diversity and inclusion committees.
- Affinity Groups: Informal attorney groups centered on common interests and backgrounds to create a more comfortable and inclusive environment.
- Attorney Recruiting Initiative: A commitment to maintain strong representation of diverse attorneys in Fenwick’s summer program as well as participation in minority job fairs and interfacing with diverse law student groups.
- Vendor/Supplier Diversity: Fenwick also seeks to expand the diversity of its supplier and vendor base, and asks vendors to commit to the same non-discrimination policies to which the firm adheres.
Fenwick is ranked annually among the 10 most diverse U.S. law firms by The American Lawyer and debuted this year at seventh on Law360’s inaugural list of the best law firms for minority attorneys and fourth for Asian American attorneys. The firm was also recognized as having the best national mentoring program in North America by Euromoney for the second year-in-a-row this year, and for the sixth straight year, the firm has received a 100 percent score (A+ rating) on The Human Rights Campaign Foundation's Corporate Equality Index for our pro-LGBTQ policies and working environment. Fenwick is also recognized by HRC as among a small pool of business that offer transgender-inclusive healthcare coverage.
View our Diversity and Inclusion Newsletter.