Daniel McCoy is Co-Chair of the Employment Practices Group at Fenwick & West. His practice emphasizes employment litigation and counseling for employers.
In his litigation practice, Dan defends employers against wage and hour class actions, trade secret disputes, employee mobility disputes, claims for sexual harassment, discrimination, breach of contract, union disputes, and many other causes of action in both state and federal courts. In his counseling practice, Dan regularly advises employers on employee terminations, wage and hour issues, reductions in force, employee misconduct, leaves of absence, unfair competition disputes and many other personnel issues.
In addition to his litigation and counseling work, Dan writes and speaks regularly on employment law issues, including for The National Law Journal, the Practising Law Institute, the Santa Clara County Bar Association, NCHRA and Strafford Publications.
Dan has been quoted on developments in employment law in numerous print and online publications, including Forbes, BusinessWeek, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today and TechCrunch.
In 2011, Dan was profiled in the Daily Journal's Top Labor and Employment Lawyers List, a list of 75 leading labor and employment lawyers in California, and, from 2012-2016, Dan was named a Northern California Super Lawyer.
Dan has been featured and/or quoted in the following publications:
- 90 Age-Discrimination Complaints Reflect Growing Issue for Tech, published in USA Today, November 22, 2016
- Navigating Claims Of Religious Discrimination In Hiring, published in Forbes, March 26, 2015
- Settling Is Not the Only Way to Resolve an Employee Lawsuit, published in The New York Times, February 20, 2013
- "Unlimited Vacation" Policies Gaining Traction, published in Bloomberg Law Reports, June 30, 2011.
- Labor and Employment Roundtable: Current Issues in California and Federal Employment Law, published in California Lawyer, April 11, 2011.
- Age Discrimination Claims Spike, published in the Daily Journal, July 7, 2010
- Lawsuits Question After-Hours Demands of Email and Cellphones, published in The Wall Street Journal, August 10, 2009.
- Wage Wars, published in Bloomberg Businessweek, October 1, 2007.
- O.T. Isn’t as Simple as Telling Time, published in The New York Times, September 20, 2007.
- Taking Your Work Home, published in The Recorder, January 17, 2007.