About Our Mergers & Acquisitions Practice
Fenwick & West is one of the premier technology mergers and acquisitions practices in the nation, recently ranked by Bloomberg as one of the Top 10 M&A legal advisors in the U.S. – across all industries.
Our M&A group provides customized transaction services to meet each client's unique business needs, communications preferences and technology infrastructure requirements. We have an extensive group of experienced attorneys available for deals of any size and complexity. Our team includes attorneys specializing in technology transactions, patents and IP litigation. In addition, our attorneys have a broad range of expertise in domestic and international tax issues.
Across all industries, Fenwick consistently ranks among the top M&A firms in the United States. Recent rankings include:
- Ranked by FactSet as one of the Top 5 M&A legal advisors in the U.S.; also ranked by FactSet as one of the Top 20 M&A legal advisors worldwide
- Ranked by Mergermarket as one of the Top 10 M&A legal advisors for Technology deals in the world
- Ranked by Bloomberg as one of the Top 10 M&A legal advisors in the U.S. – across all industries
- Ranked by Thomson Reuters as one of the Top 10 M&A legal advisors in the U.S. and as one of the Top 25 M&A legal advisors worldwide
- International Tax Review named Fenwick & West "Americas M&A Tax Firm of the Year"
- Honored by Global M&A Network with the “2014 Technology Deal of the Year” for representation of Cisco in its $2.7B acquisition of SourceFire; also honored with the “2014 Emerging Markets Deal of the Year” for representation of Spreadtrum Communications in its $1.78B going private acquisition by Tsinghua Unigroup
- Honored by Global M&A Network with the “2013 Global M&A Deal of the Year” for representation of Facebook in its $1B acquisition of Instagram; also honored with the “2013 Technology & Services Deal of the Year” for representation of Cisco in its $5B acquisition of NDS
In recent years, the firm has completed more than $400 billion worth of transactions, including significant acquisition programs for leading serial acquirers. Representative experience includes:
- Cisco Systems in its $6.9B acquisition of Scientific-Atlanta, its $5B acquisition of NDS Group, its $3.2B tender offer for WebEx Communications, its $2.9B acquisition of Starent Networks, its $2.7B acquisition of Sourcefire, and over 100 other transactions for Cisco Systems
- Facebook in its $2B acquisition of Oculus VR, its $1B acquisition of Instagram, and over 40 other transactions for Facebook
- WhatsApp in its $19B acquisition by Facebook – one of the largest private technology acquisitions ever
- VeriSign in its $21B acquisition of Network Solutions – one of the largest Internet deals ever – and more than 25 other VeriSign acquisitions
- Symantec in its $13.5B acquisition of VERITAS – one of the largest software mergers ever – and more than 30 other Symantec acquisitions
- Counsel in many of the most important strategic cross-border mergers including Spreadtrum Communications in its $1.78B take private acquisition by Tsinghua Unigroup, and counsel to the Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Giant Interactive Group in its $3B take-private acquisition by Giant Investment and Giant Merger Limited
- Counsel to Data Domain in the bidding war between NetApp and EMC, leading to Data Domain's $2.4 acquisition by EMC
- Counsel in many of the most important strategic mergers of software companies, including: SuccessFactors in its $3.4B acquisition by SAP, Macromedia in its $3.4B merger with Adobe Systems, VERITAS in its $3.4B acquisition of Seagate Software, Opsware in its $1.6B acquisition by Hewlett-Packard, MySQL in its $1B acquisition by Sun Microsystems and Intuit in its $1.35B acquisition of Digital Insight
- Counsel for some of the largest life sciences industry mergers in recent years – including Agilent Technologies in its $1.5B acquisition of Varian, Ocular Sciences’ $1.2B acquisition by The Cooper Companies, SonoSite in its $995M acquisition by Fujifilm and Connetics in its $930M acquisition by Stiefel Laboratories