About Our Mergers & Acquisitions Practice
Fenwick & West is one of the premier technology mergers and acquisitions practices in the nation, recently ranked by Bloomberg as one of the Top 10 M&A legal advisors in the U.S. – across all industries.
Our M&A group provides customized transaction services to meet each client's unique business needs, communications preferences and technology infrastructure requirements. We have an extensive group of experienced attorneys available for deals of any size and complexity. Our team includes attorneys specializing in technology transactions, patents and IP litigation. In addition, our attorneys have a broad range of expertise in domestic and international tax issues.
Across all industries, Fenwick & West consistently ranks among the top M&A firms in the United States. Recent rankings include:
- Ranked by Bloomberg as one of the Top 10 M&A legal advisors in the U.S. – across all industries
- Ranked by FactSet as one of the Top 5 M&A legal advisors in the U.S.; also ranked by FactSet as one of the Top 20 M&A legal advisors worldwide
- Ranked by Thomson Reuters as one of the Top 10 M&A legal advisors in the U.S. and as one of the Top 25 M&A legal advisors worldwide
- Ranked by Mergermarket as one of the Top 5 M&A legal advisors for Technology deals in North America and as one of the Top 10 West Coast M&A legal advisors
- International Tax Review (2012) named Fenwick & West "Americas M&A Tax Firm of the Year"
Honored by Global M&A Network with the “2013 Global M&A Deal of the Year” for representation of Facebook in its $1B acquisition of Instagram; also honored with the “2013 Technology & Services Deal of the Year” for representation of Cisco in its $5B acquisition of NDS
In recent years, the firm has completed more than $300 billion worth of transactions, including significant acquisition programs for leading serial acquirers. Representative experience includes:
- Counsel for Cisco Systems in its $6.9B acquisition of Scientific-Atlanta, its $5B acquisition of NDS Group, its $3.2B tender offer for WebEx Communications, its $2.9B acquisition of Starent Networks, its $2.7B acquisition of Sourcefire, and over 100 other transactions for Cisco Systems
- Counsel in one of the largest Internet deal ever – VeriSign's $21 billion acquisition of Network Solutions – and more than 25 other VeriSign acquisitions
- Counsel in one of the largest software mergers ever – Symantec's $13.5 billion acquisition of VERITAS – and more than 30 other Symantec acquisitions
- Counsel to Data Domain in the bidding war between NetApp and EMC, leading to Data Domain's $2.4 billion acquisition by EMC
- Counsel in many of the most important strategic mergers of software companies, including: SuccessFactors' $3.4 billion acquisition by SAP, Macromedia's $3.4 billion merger with Adobe Systems, VERITAS' $3.4 billion acquisition of Seagate Software, Opsware's $1.6 billion acquisition by Hewlett-Packard, MySQL's $1 billion acquisition by Sun Microsystems and Intuit's $1.35 billion acquisition of Digital Insight
- Counsel for some of the largest life sciences industry mergers in recent years – including Agilent Technologies’ $1.5 billion acquisition of Varian, Ocular Sciences’ $1.2 billion acquisition by The Cooper Companies, SonoSite's $995 million acquisition by Fujifilm and Connetics’ $930 million acquisition by Stiefel Laboratories