Mountain View, Calif. (June 30, 2014) – Fenwick & West announced today that the firm’s patent practice has been recommended nationally in the 2014 issue of IP Media Group’s IAM Patent 1000, a guide to the world’s leading firms and individuals in private practice. The firm is recognized in the highest tier for patent prosecution nationwide, and 13 attorneys are honored for their work.
“Fenwick & West has secured a place in the hearts and minds of companies and research entities across the globe,” the guide opens. “Its capabilities encompass all aspects of the protection and enforcement of patents and it is a fine choice for those seeking a one-stop patent shop. Its lawyers’ combination of advanced technical acumen and commercial sensibility elevates its status on the market.
Fenwick is ranked in the first tier nationwide for patent prosecution in addition to being recommended for patent prosecution and transactions in California and patent prosecution in Washington. The firm is also recognized for its patent litigation practice in both California and Washington.
“Located in the middle of Silicon Valley, the firm knows what local investors want to see in start-ups, and its prosecutors can thus build the necessary value into a portfolio’s foundations,” the guide continues.
In calling Fenwick “one of the most diversely talented sets on the West Coast,” IAM Patent 1000 ranked five Fenwick attorneys for patent transactions, five for patent prosecution, three for patent litigation and one nationally for post grant procedures.
Of Fenwick’s patent litigation practice, the guide noted, “With a 14-partner patent litigation squad, Fenwick & West’s ability to defend and promote its clients’ interests extends into the contentious arena.”
The 2014 rankings expand upon last year’s rankings, which honored 10 Fenwick attorneys as leaders in their field, “adept at liaising with engineers in order to secure ironclad protection.”
IAM Patent 1000 distinguished the following Fenwick attorneys as leaders in their fields:
- Larry Granatelli – “IP chair and transactional whiz,” “feted for his deft touch on computer hardware and software deals”
- Jake Handy – “wins ringing endorsements from some of the toughest deal makers on the market,” “deep understanding of the defensive patent aggregation business”
- David Hayes
- Lisa Kenkel
- Ralph Pais – “efficient communicator,” "business-minded, results-oriented attorney who can boil down the most complex problems’”
- Bob Hulse
- John McNelis – “works well with scientists to ensure he delivers the broadest IP protection for cutting edge innovations,” “incredibly receptive”
- Rajiv Patel – “The team is known for cultivating close relations with rights holders, and no one demonstrates this more than Rajiv Patel, who often performs a quasi-in-house counsel role for clients. His forward thinking patent strategies help his patrons to prosper”
- Andrew Serafini – “Life sciences connoisseur,” “a popular choice among foreign associates referring work into the United States”
- Gene Yee – “He has a finely nuanced understanding of patent law and does a fantastic job of explaining it to laymen”
- Mike Sacksteder – “Litigation leaders Michael Sacksteder and Darryl Woo drive favourable settlements with panache,” “Both are formidable performers at trial”
- David Tellekson – “always impressive,” “widely tipped for his pharmaceutical patent litigation expertise, though he frequently demonstrates his affinity for dispute resolution in other technology fields as well”
- Darryl Woo
Fenwick’s complete rankings are available through the IAM Patent 1000 website for California and Washington.
About Fenwick & West
Fenwick & West provides comprehensive legal services to ground-breaking technology and life sciences companies at every stage of their lifecycle. We have extensive experience managing and exploiting intellectual property portfolios and litigating complex patent disputes for technology and life sciences clients of national and international prominence. Our attorneys have handled some of the most prominent IP litigation, including securing one of the largest IP litigation settlements in history, the $400 million mid-trial settlement for Compuware against IBM. For more than four decades, Fenwick has helped some of the world's most recognized companies become and remain market leaders.