Mountain View, CA (February 5, 2015) – Fenwick & West today announced its 2014 M&A rankings, demonstrating the firm’s strength in the technology sector where Fenwick ranked third in the world, based on number of transactions, according to Mergermarket. Fenwick handled more than 170 deals in 2014 with an aggregate value of approximately $60 billion.
The firm continues to ride the technology wave with 2014 seeing Fenwick triple the firm’s aggregate deal value in 2013. Fenwick attorneys also worked on 65 percent more M&A transactions year-over-year.
In the United States, Fenwick ranked sixth for the number of transactions across all deal sizes on which the firm was primary transaction counsel, according to Bloomberg, and third in the country for number of deals valued at up to $500 million.
Fenwick’s largest transactions of 2014 included the firm’s representations of:
- WhatsApp in its $19 billion acquisition by Facebook, the largest private technology deal to date and among the 10 largest acquisitions of the year
- Tim Hortons in its $11.4 billion acquisition by Burger King (as special tax counsel)
- Concur Technologies in its $8.3 billion acquisition by SAP
- Spanision in its $4 billion merger with Cypress Semiconductor
- The Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Giant Interactive Group in its $3 billion going private transaction
- Facebook in its $2.3 billion acquisition of Oculus VR
- Rakuten in its $1 billion acquisition of Ebates
Fenwick has one of the nation’s preeminent M&A practices and is continually ranked as one of the top law firms for mergers and acquisitions globally and nationally in technology and life sciences transactions. In recent years, Fenwick has completed more than $400 billion in M&A transactions, including significant acquisition programs for leading serial acquirers.
About Fenwick & West
Fenwick & West provides comprehensive legal services to ground-breaking technology and life sciences companies at every stage of their lifecycle. We craft innovative, cost-effective and practical solutions for established and emerging companies on issues ranging from venture capital, public offerings, joint ventures, M&A and strategic relationships, to intellectual property, litigation and dispute resolution, taxation, antitrust, and employment and labor law. For more than four decades, Fenwick has helped some of the world's most recognized companies become and remain market leaders.