Mountain View, CA (August 31, 2017) – Fenwick & West announced today that the firm’s patent practice has been recommended nationally in the 2017 issue of IP Media Group’s IAM Patent 1000, a guide to the world’s leading firms and individuals in private practice.
IAM Patent 1000 recognized the firm in the highest tier for patent transactions nationwide and honored 16 lawyers for their work.
In addition, five Fenwick lawyers have been recognized in the 2017 IAM Strategy 300, which lists the world’s leading individuals in IP portfolio strategy.
“Fenwick & West is extremely well rooted in the Silicon Valley community,” opens the firm’s profile in the IAM Patent 1000. “It maintains an outstanding client base in such a competitive market, which speaks volumes about the quality it offers.”
IAM Patent 1000 ranks Fenwick in the first tier nationwide for patent transactions in addition to highly recommending the firm for patent prosecutions and transactions in California. The guide notes that Fenwick has the most lawyers ranked for California transactions, giving it “virtually unrivalled strength in depth on patent commercialisation.”
Additionally, the guide recognizes Fenwick for its patent litigation practice in both California and Washington.
The guide honored 16 Fenwick lawyers as leaders in their fields in California and Washington in the patent transactions, patent prosecution and patent litigation categories and nationally in post-grant-proceedings.
Separately, IAM Strategy 300 highlighted Jake Handy, David Hayes, Stuart Meyer, Robert Sachs and Jae Won Song in its annual listing of individuals who specialize in developing world-class IP value creation programs.
The full list of Fenwick lawyers distinguished by IAM Patent 1000 is below. Fenwick’s complete rankings are available through the IAM Patent 1000 website for the United States, California and Washington.
- Larry Granatelli – “a transactional maven … with considerable litigation and prosecution expertise”
- Stephen Gillespie – “Took the lead for Symantec, is no stranger to billion-dollar deals”
- Jake Handy (also ranked in IAM Strategy 300) – “Experienced, extremely business-savvy and efficient lawyer who represents great value”
- David Hayes (also ranked in IAM Strategy 300) – “Stands out for his insight on copyright, internet and digital media issues”
- Ralph Pais – “Extensive experience on both the buy and sell sides” and “an architect of some key service innovations, such as Flex by Fenwick – a unique interim staffing business”
- Bob Hulse – “Knows all about the business of patents and, serving as an independent expert evaluator for a major patent pool, is also an expert on standard essentiality”
- Rajiv Patel – “Acting as chair, [he] has turned the group into an incredibly efficient operator; using an entirely paperless system and leveraging a Vermont-based back office to identify and deploy innovative staffing models”
- Robert Sachs (also ranked in IAM Strategy 300) – “Among the nation’s top experts on Section 101 issues; if you want to know the state of play in either area, there is nobody better to call.” Also “knows all the stats [on post-Alice developments] and is incredibly thoughtful about where the law in that area might be heading”
- Antonia Sequeira – “A trusted confidant of the C-suite” she “makes her debut in the IAM Patent 1000 this year”
- Michael Shuster – “Pinnacle of the patent prosecution profession” who is “consistently amazing, combining a top understanding of US and global IP law with pragmatism and a business sophistication that is rarely seen in IP counsel”
- Jae Won Song (also ranked in IAM Strategy 300) – “In hot demand among high technology enterprises” with “an interdisciplinary practice and contributes much to the firm’s success in prosecution and litigation”
Patent Prosecution and Post-Grant Proceedings
- John McNelis – “In hot demand,” his “advice on both protection and enforcement comes with gravitas”
- Mike Sacksteder – “Puts the right case law and legislative provisions to use expeditiously and efficiently to obtain business-optimal results”
- Dave Hadden – “Can wrap his mind around virtually any type of tech” and is “a hugely experienced litigator and trial attorney who leads teams to excellent results on time and within budget”
- Stuart Meyer (also ranked in IAM Strategy 300) – “An extremely strong background in technology and picks up concepts very quickly. He has a keen sense of balancing business and IP goals”
- David Tellekson – “A nationally renowned veteran advocate” whose “ability to formulate simple, relatable trial themes early on gives him an advantage in front of a jury”
About Fenwick & West
Fenwick & West LLP provides comprehensive legal services to ground-breaking technology and life sciences companies—at every stage of their lifecycle—and the investors that partner with them. We craft innovative, cost-effective and practical solutions on issues ranging from venture capital, public offerings, joint ventures, M&A and strategic relationships, to intellectual property, litigation and dispute resolution, taxation, antitrust, and employment and labor law. For more than four decades, Fenwick has helped some of the world's most recognized companies become and remain market leaders. For more information, please visit fenwick.com.