Christine Redfield focuses her practice on strategic international brand counseling and protection, including the development and management of international trademark portfolios, creative brand enforcement strategies and trademark rights online. She advises clients on the availability, use, registration, and enforcement of trademarks in the United States and worldwide markets.
Chris also counsels clients on a variety of trademark related issues including trade dress infringement, trademark dilution, and acquiring domain name registrations. She represents clients before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and resolves rights to disputed marks by negotiating licenses, assignments, and coexistence, settlement and transfer agreements.
Chris authors articles on intellectual property law for leading legal publications. Her recent articles include “Coachella is About More Than Music” (Daily Journal, March 2017) and “Fashion Tech: Redesigning Trademark Protection” (Daily Journal, November 2016).
She is admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the Eastern District, Northern District and Southern District of California.
Prior to joining Fenwick & West, Chris was a partner with the Palo Alto office of K&L Gates LLP. She is a member of the American Bar Association (ABA), the International Trademark Association (INTA) and the Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO).
- “Coachella is About More Than Music,” Daily Journal, March 2017
- “Fashion Tech: Redesigning Trademark Protection,” Daily Journal, November 2016
- "Strategies for a Successful Co-Branding Partnership," Law.com, September 2015
- "Co-Branding Partnerships - Here's How to Increase the Odds of a Successful Alliance," ALM, Fall 2015
- “Trademark Protection and Branding Strategies for Startups,” Speed Dating for Startups, USPTO, February 2016 (speaker)
- "Branding Trends in Digital Marketing," The Changing Landscape of Intellectual Property Strategies, The Knowledge Group, December 2015 (live webcast panelist)
- “Intellectual Property Issues,” Nonprofit Legal Audit Clinic, Mountain View, Association of Corporate Counsel, June 2015 (presenter)
- “Marking Territory: Protecting Retail Store Designs & Scents,” International Bar Association Annual Meeting, Tokyo, October 2014 (panelist)
- “U.S. Specimens: Overview of Strategies and Practical Considerations When Submitting Use Related Documents,” INTA Annual Meeting, Hong Kong, May 2014 (moderator)
- “Developing Trade Dress Rights in Wine Labels, Product Designs and Packaging,” Wine Law in Washington, Law Seminars International, August 2013 (speaker)
- “Trademark Developments in Social Media,” IP BYTES: Hot Topics in Trademark Law, Bar Association of San Francisco, July 2013 (webcast panelist)
- “The Good, Bad and Ugly,” Social Media and Intellectual Property, International Trademark Association, January 2013 (panelist)
- “Trade Dress Protection Today: Outlook and Pointers for 2012,” K&L Gates/Watermark, March 2012 (webinar speaker)