Christine Redfield focuses her practice on strategic international brand counseling and protection, including the development and management of international trademark portfolios, creative brand enforcement strategies and trademark rights online. She advises clients on the availability, use, registration, and enforcement of trademarks in the United States and worldwide markets.
Chris also counsels clients on a variety of trademark related issues including trade dress infringement, trademark dilution, and acquiring domain name registrations. She represents clients before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and resolves rights to disputed marks by negotiating licenses, assignments, and coexistence, settlement and transfer agreements.
Chris is admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the Eastern District, Northern District and Southern District of California.
Prior to joining Fenwick & West, Chris was a partner with the Palo Alto office of K&L Gates LLP. She is a member of the American Bar Association (ABA), the International Trademark Association (INTA) and the Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO).
Speaking Engagements 2016
- February 11: Silicon Valley USPTO's "Speed Dating for Startups" event, speaker on Trademark Protection and Branding Strategies for Startups
Speaking Engagements 2015
- December 14: The Knowledge Group Live Webcast, panelist on The Changing Landscape of Intellectual Property Strategies - "Branding Trends in Digital Marketing"
- September 25: Law.com Article - "Strategies for a Successful Co-Branding Partnership"
- Fall 2015: Intellectual Property, An ALM Supplement Article - "Co-Branding Partnerships - Here's How to Increase the Odds of a Successful Alliance"
- June 26: Nonprofit Legal Audit Clinic in Mountain View, presenter on IP issues to members of the Association of Corporate Counsel
Speaking Engagements 2014
- October 24: International Bar Association Annual Meeting in Tokyo, Panelist on Non-Traditional Trademarks - “Marking Territory: Protecting Retail Store Designs & Scents”
- May 11: INTA Annual Meeting in Hong Kong, Table Topic moderator on “U.S. Specimens: Overview of Strategies and Practical Considerations When Submitting Use Related Documents.”
Speaking Engagements 2013
- August 9: Wine Law in Washington, Law Seminars International, speaker on “Developing Trade Dress Rights in Wine Labels, Product Designs and Packaging.”
- July 18: Bar Association of San Francisco, IP BYTES: Hot Topics in Trademark Law, webcast panelist on “Trademark Developments in Social Media.”
- January 30: International Trademark Association Roundtable, Social Media and Intellectual Property, panelist on “The Good, Bad and Ugly.”
Speaking Engagements 2012
- March 2012: K&L Gates/Watermark webinar, speaker on “Trade Dress Protection Today: Outlook and Pointers for 2012.”