Stephen Graham is co-chair of Fenwick & West’s Life Sciences Practice and Managing Partner in the Seattle Office.
Stephen focuses his practice in the areas of private and public mergers and acquisitions, public offerings, private placements, and corporate governance matters, including advising boards of directors and audit, compensation and nominating/corporate governance committees, preparation and filing of periodic SEC reports, and other securities law compliance, including Sarbanes-Oxley Act matters and disclosure issues with respect to Rule 10b-5 and Regulation FD.
His diverse practice is focused on the representation of emerging and established high growth companies. Stephen has represented companies and investment banks in numerous initial public offerings, a wide variety of merger and acquisition transactions, and private offerings of debt and equity.
Stephen has been recognized by Chambers USA as one of the top corporate and mergers and acquisitions lawyers in Washington. He is also a “Super Lawyer” award recipient, 2000 - 2014, was ranked as one of the Top 100 Super Lawyers in 2005 by Washington Law & Politics, received the Top Lawyers award from Seattle Magazine in 2003, is listed in Who’s Who in America by Marquis Biographical Reference, has been recognized as one of The Best Lawyers in America, and is a member of Pi Sigma Alpha. Stephen was also recognized as a “Life Sciences Star” for his outstanding transactional work in Euromoney’s LMG Life Sciences 2012 and 2013.
In 2011, Stephen was appointed co-chairperson of the Securities and Exchange Commission’s Advisory Committee on Small and Emerging Companies. He is active in community affairs, currently serving on the Board of Directors of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, the Institute for Systems Biology and the Washington Biotechnology & Biomedical Association, where he serves on the Executive Committee. He is also a member of the Bank of Montreal Financial Group Washington Advisory Board and serves on the Editorial Board of eHealth Law & Policy.
Prior to joining Fenwick & West, Stephen was a corporate partner with Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP, where he was the chair of the global Corporate Practice Group.
- SonoSite, Inc. Stephen represented SonoSite, the leading provider of highly portable, all-digital ultrasound imaging devices, since its spin-off from ATL. He has represented SonoSite in a number of transactions, including its $200 million convertible note offering and its $995 million sale to FUJIFILM Holdings Corp.
- Amnis Corporation. Stephen represented Amnis Corporation, a Seattle-based company that developed, manufactures and markets instrumentation for high speed cell imaging for research and diagnostic markets, in connection with its sale to EMD Millipore, the Life Science division of Merck KGaA of Germany.
- ZymoGenetics, Inc. Stephen represented ZymoGenetics, Inc., a biopharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of therapeutic proteins, in connection with its $96 million confidentially managed public offering and its $885 million sale to Bristol-Myers Squibb.
- Immunex Corporation. From its inception in 1981 and until its sale to Amgen in mid-2002, Stephen represented Immunex in a variety of corporate matters, including its initial public offering, its $750 million merger with American Cyanamid, public debt and equity offerings, securities law compliance, mergers and acquisitions and the successful defense of a hostile takeover attempt by American Home Products. He advised Immunex in its $3.2 billion public offering, the largest biotechnology stock offering at the time.
- Teikoku Pharma USA, Inc. Stephen represented Teikoku Pharma USA, Inc., a world leader in high-quality drug delivery systems, in connection with its acquisition of Travanti Pharma Inc.
- LipoSonix, Inc. Stephen represented LipoSonix, Inc. in connection with its $300 million sale to Medicis Pharmaceutical Corporation.
- Advanced Medical Technologies. Stephen represented Advanced Medical Technologies, doing business as Blue Phantom, a global leader in the ultrasound medical imaging simulation business, in connection with its sale to CAE Healthcare.
- Becton, Dickinson and Company. Stephen represented Becton, Dickinson and Company, a global medical technology company that manufactures medical supplies, devices, laboratory equipment and diagnostic products, in connection with its acquisition of Cytopeia Incorporated.
- Cardiac Dimensions, Inc. Stephen has represented Cardiac Dimensions, a medical device company specializing in treating heart failure without open cavity surgery, in connection with general corporate matters and venture financings.
- Accelerator Corporation
- Acucela Inc.
- Acylin Therapeutics, Inc.
- Allozyne, Inc.
- Amnis Corporation
- Atigeo LLC
- Authentex, Inc.
- AWAK Technologies Pte Ltd.
- Cardeas Pharma Corp.
- Cardiac Dimensions, Inc.
- Cervel Neurotech, Inc.
- Corixa Corporation
- Corus Pharma, Inc.
- FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation
- ICOS Corporation
- Immunex Corporation
- InControl Inc.
- Institute for Systems Biology
- LipoSonix, Inc.
- NaviSonics, Inc.
- SonoSite, Inc.
- Teikoku Pharma USA, Inc.
- Theraclone Sciences, Inc.
- VLST Corporation
- WatchGuard Technologies, Inc.
- ZymoGenetics, Inc.