Dr. Idan Netser focuses his practice on international emerging companies, venture capital, corporate and partnership taxation issues, including cross border international investments, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, transfer pricing, Subpart F, foreign tax credits, tax planning and restructurings, international IP planning and exploitation, and tax controversy.
Idan was named to Daily Journal’s 2017 Top 40 Under 40 list, where he was honored for his ability to lead international tax and large-scale matters while contributing to civic and pro bono matters. He is also recognized as a “Rising Star” by Northern California Super Lawyers (2014-2019). In 2019, Chambers Global also ranked Idan among the world’s leading lawyers representing U.S.-based clients in Israeli-related U.S. international tax matters.
Idan graduated, with distinction, from both the Naval Academy and the Naval Advanced Command course. Idan served as the Commander of the Identification, Navigation and Communication squadron as well as in different naval command positions on board a missile frigate, and led international naval operations in collaboration with NATO.
Idan is a member of the State Bar of California and the Israeli Bar Association (inactive).
He is fluent in Hebrew and English and proficient in French.
Select Publications and Speaking Engagements:
- "PFIC: What U.S. Investment Funds Should be Particularly Aware of and Newly Proposed Regulations," Fenwick & West, January 8, 2020 (co-author)
- "Treasury and IRS Release Final and Proposed Foreign Tax Credit Regulations," Fenwick & West, January 6, 2020 (co-author)
- "IRS Issues Long-Awaited Cryptocurrency Guidance in Revenue Ruling 2019-24 and New FAQs," Fenwick & West, October 11, 2019 (co-author)
- “Treasury and IRS Propose Welcome (and Some Unwelcome) Guidance on the Base Erosion and Anti-Abuse Tax,” Fenwick & West, January 11, 2019 (co-author)
- “The New Foreign Tax Credit Proposed Regulations – An Executive Summary,” Fenwick & West, December 12, 2018 (co-author)
- “A trend worth watching: A new wave of startup M&A,” VC Journal, September 21, 2017
- “Strategic IP and Tax Planning Issues in M&As,” 3rd Annual Tax and Transfer Pricing Seminar, Tel Aviv, April 2017
- “Tax Benefits of QSBS: A Quick Guide,” Fenwick & West, May 6, 2016
- “New Proposed Section 385 Regulations,” TEI Regions IX & X Annual Conference, Portland, May 2016
- "Cross-Border Tax Issues for In-House Counsel," The University of Texas School of Law and The Corporate Counsel Institute, Houston, April 2016
- “A Closer Look, Taxation of Foreign Fund Lending Activities In the US,” Global Tax Weekly, March 31, 2016
- “Foreign Tax Credits,” Bloomberg-BNA, San Diego, March 2016
- “Same Stock Different Price: Side Payments To Minority Shareholders,” Global Tax Weekly, December 17, 2015
- “Foreign Tax Credits,” Bloomberg-BNA, Boston, San Diego, March 2015
- “The US Source Rules,” Bloomberg-BNA, Boston, November 2014
- “US Tax Developments,” Euromoney, September 2014
- “Another Look at US Federal Income Tax Treatment of Contingent Earnout Payments,” Global Tax Weekly, July 2014
- “Investment in US Property – Section 956,” Bloomberg-BNA, NYC, May 2014
- “Section 83(b) Election – Better Safe than Sorry,” Global Tax Weekly, May 22, 2014
- “US Int’l Tax Considerations in IP Related Transactions,” LES Webinar, April 2014
- “Transfer Pricing (§482),” University of Florida Law School, November 2013
- “The Subpart F Rules,” Council for International Tax Education (CITE), San Francisco, September 2013
- “Foreign Tax Credits,” Council for International Tax Education (CITE) Boston, June 2013
- “Tax on Corporate Transactions in the United States,” PLC Tax Multi-Jurisdictional Guide, February 2013 (co-author)
- “United States Tax Considerations for Israeli Start-Up Companies,” Fenwick & West, March 26, 2012
- “Character and Source of Income from Internet Business Activities,” Fenwick & West, March 26, 2012