Niping Wu focuses her practice on cross-border mergers and acquisitions with an emphasis on private equity and strategic investments in Chinese companies and businesses, regularly acting as counsel to international investors active in China. She also has extensive experience in cross-border debt financing transactions. Additionally, Niping advises Chinese companies on outbound investments, and she also has worked on U.S. public offerings by China-based issuers.
Niping is recognized by Chambers Asia as a leading private equity lawyer and by Expert Guides as a leading practitioner in private equity. She has been practicing law in China for over a decade. Prior to joining Fenwick & West, Niping was a partner at other prominent U.S. law firms where she led transactional matters with an emphasis on serving international private equity firms investing in China.
Niping has advised numerous private equity funds such as PAG, TPG, Orchid Asia, MBK Partners, Mount Kellett, Hony Capital and American Securities; financial institutions such as Bank of America, Barclays and China Life; and corporation clients such as ArcelorMittal, Owens Corning, Precision Castparts, Funtalk, Zongyi Group and Venturepharm Labs.
Notable transactions led by Niping include:
- Represented PAG (as part of consortium) in $2B acquisition of Cushman & Wakefield, and the merger between the target and DTZ to create the second largest commercial real estate services provider in the world
- Represented PAG in its investment in a Chinese pharmaceutical company
- Representing PAG in its proposed acquisitions of two drugs from a global pharmaceutical company, and its proposed joint venture with such global pharmaceutical company and a Chinese pharmaceutical company
- Representing a Chinese high-tech company in its ongoing U.S. IPO
- Represented PAG in connection with its $100 million+ investment in CMC and CMC’s mergers and acquisitions of several other companies
- Represented PAG in its borrowing of a $400 million secured loan from offshore branch of a Chinese “big four” State-owned bank, and its borrowing of a $110 million secured loan from a major international bank
- Represented TPG in the sale of its stake in Shenzhen Development Bank for $2 billion+; in its $200 million+ investment in Guanghui Automobile Services; in its $800 million investment in Taishin Financial Holding; in its $350 million investment (aggregate with co-investors) in Lenovo; in its investment in BankThai Public Company Limited; and in its investment in Xinjiang Guanghui Liquefied Natural Gas Development
- Represented Bank of America in its $3 billion investment in China Construction Bank; in its financial leasing joint venture with China Construction Bank (the first Sino-foreign financial leasing company in China); and in the sale of its retail business in China
- Represented Orchid Asia in its $40 million investment in a Chinese e-commerce company; in its acquisition of a China-based healthcare company; in its investment in a China-based IT company; and in its investment in United Power Equipment and the subsequent IPO exit
- Represented Mount Kellett in its $90 million investment in a waste management business owned by Hangzhou Jinjiang Group
- Represented Precision Castparts Corp in its $350 million investment in Yangzhou Chengde Steel Tube
- Represented Barclays in its investment in a Chinese trust company
- Represented Venturepharm Holdings Inc. in its acquisition of the China business of a U.S. Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company
- Represented Zongyi Group in its investment in a U.S. biopharmaceutical company
- Represented Funtalk in connection with share transfers among certain shareholders
- Represented Chaowei Power (a leading PRC lead-acid battery manufacturer) in connection with an investment by Hony Capital and the simultaneous redemption of previously issued preferred shares
- Represented Prince Frog International (a Chinese manufacturer of child care products) in connection with an investment by CCB International Asset Management Limited
- Represented Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse and the other underwriters in the $217 million U.S. IPO of Perfect World
- Advised China Life on U.S. securities law reporting and compliance matters
- Represented ArcelorMittal (the world’s largest steel company) in its various investments and joint ventures in China