Gordon advises high technology companies, clean technology and life sciences companies. Gordy’s clients range from startups to Fortune 100 companies. He has worked on over 60 public offerings and has represented boards of directors, audit committees and executives in numerous special investigations.
He has also acted as lead counsel on over 100 mergers and acquisitions valued at more than $75B in the aggregate, including:
- $19B acquisition of WhatsApp by Facebook
- $17B acquisition by VeriSign of Network Solutions
- $13B acquisition by Symantec of Veritas Software in 2005 and the sale of Veritas by Symantec in 2015
- $6.9B acquisition by Cisco Systems of Scientific-Atlanta
- $6.5B acquisition by Exodus Communications of GlobalCenter
- $4B merger of Spansion with Cypress Semiconductor
- $3.75B acquisition of SuccessFactors by SAP
- $3.4B acquisition of Macromedia by Adobe
- $3B acquisition of Giant Interactive Group by a private equity sponsor-backed consortium (counsel to special committee)
- $2.5B acquisition by VERITAS Software of Seagate Software
- $2.4B acquisition of Data Domain by EMC
- $1.78B acquisition of Spreadtrum Communications by Tsinghua Unigroup
- $1.4B acquisition of Elantec by Intersil
- $1.4B acquisition by Intuit of Digital Insight
- $1.2B acquisition of Ocular Sciences by The Cooper Companies
- $1B going-private acquisition of Zhaopin (China) by a private equity sponsor-backed consortium (counsel to special committee)
- $930M going-private acquisition of eHi Car Services' (China) by a private equity sponsor-backed consortium (counsel to special committee)
Gordy has spoken on current issues in capital formation and IPOs at the PLI and Northwestern Securities Regulation Institutes and on governance issues at the Stanford Directors College, taught courses on Venture Capital and Mergers & Acquisitions at Stanford Law School, and chaired the Practising Law Institute programs on Private Placements and Mergers & Acquisitions of High Technology Companies. He is a member of the American College of Governance Counsel and has served on the boards of directors or non-profit organizations, including BayBio, Children’s Health Council, Pacific Community Ventures and Fresh Lifelines for Youth.
Prior to and during law school, Gordy worked as a computer systems engineer at Stanford Research Institute and at Measurex. Following law school, he was a law clerk for Judge Ben C. Duniway in the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco.