- The Legal 500 consistently recognizes Jake as a leading licensing, technology transactions and life sciences lawyer, most recently in 2022
- IAM Patent 1000 consistently honors Jake as one of the top transactions practitioners in California, most recently in 2020
- IAM Strategy 300 recognized Jake as one of the world’s leading IP strategists for patent transactions in 2017
Clients trust Jake to anticipate the unknown and structure complex agreements that protect their interests over the long term.
Jake counsels life sciences and technology clients—ranging from emerging growth companies to established tech businesses—at formation through exit. Leveraging a background in molecular biology, Jake is recognized for his innovative, forward-thinking approach to helping early-stage biotechnology companies maximize the value of company assets.
In a deal praised by news media as a “pivotal event,” Jake represented Calico, the Google-backed life sciences company, in a novel scientific collaboration with AbbVie, a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company, to research and develop therapeutics for age-related diseases. On the technology side, Jake counseled 26 member-investor companies—collectively known as Allied Security Trust—in a unique collaboration to acquire all 498 patents from MIPS Technologies.
Whether he is bringing in core IP from a university or facilitating a company’s first collaboration with a pharmaceutical company, clients trust Jake to anticipate the unknown and structure complex agreements that protect their interests over the long term.
Jake’s representative transactions include:
- Development, collaboration, license and material transfer agreements for a broad range of life science technologies including antibody, protein expression/modulation, gene therapy, genomics, proteomics and bioinformatics technologies
- Software, telecommunications and IT agreements, including technology development, licensing and marketing agreements
- Clinical trial agreements
- Supply, distribution, sales representative and other supply-side agreements for biopharmaceuticals, diagnostic, medical device, telecommunications and software products
Jake’s scientific acumen complements his legal expertise. While at the University of California at San Diego, he was the recipient of the NASA Specialized Center of Research and Training in Exobiology Graduate Fellowship. In preparation for the Mars Pathfinder mission, Jake’s research focused on early biotics and potential conditions for life beyond Earth.
- BioAge in its exclusive license agreement with Taisho
- Veracyte in its exclusive license agreement with Yale
- Mavupharma in its acquisition by AbbVie
- Sierra Oncology in its asset purchase of Momelotinib from Gilead Sciences
- Myonexus Therapeutics in its $60 million licensing agreement with Sarepta Therapeutics
- Invenra in its collaboration and license agreement with Exelixis
- Loxo Oncology in its collaboration with Bayer valued at up to $1.55 billion
- GRAIL in its definitive agreement to combine with Cirina
- Sutro Biopharma in its collaboration and licensing agreement with EMD Serono
- Calico in its novel $2.5B collaboration with AbbVie
Jake is an “experienced, extremely business-savvy and efficient lawyer who represents great value.”
- Allied Security Trust
- Boomcloud 360
- Denali Therapeutics
- Halozyme Therapeutics
- Sierra Oncology
- Sutro Biopharma
Education & Admissions
J.D., magna cum laude
California Western School of Law
University of California, San Diego
B.S., summa cum laude, Molecular Biology
University of California, San Diego
Phi Beta Kappa
Admitted to practice in California
Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Member of the American Bar Association