Jeff represents clients in patent litigation and other intellectual property issues, including some of the world's preeminent life sciences, pharmaceutical, biotech and high-tech companies. He has extensive experience guiding clients through all phases of complex patent litigation, including Hatch-Waxman patent litigation, inter partes reviews at the U.S. Patent Office and appeals to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Jeff has been lead counsel on several high-profile patent infringement disputes as well as arbitrations on patent licensing issues, and has achieved a string of significant victories for his clients. An important part of his practice is counseling his clients prior to litigation on issues concerning patentability, patent clearance and licensing. Jeff has also developed a significant track record litigating matters and counseling clients in the electrical arts, including mobile communications, internet applications, semiconductor devices and hardware and software inventions.
In 2021, Jeff was honored by The Best Lawyers in America for his excellence in patent litigation. Jeff has also been consistently ranked by IAM Patent 1000 as a leading patent practitioner (2012 – 2021). Additionally, he has been recognized as a Patent Star by Managing Intellectual Property and a Life Sciences Star by LMG Life Sciences. Jeff has also been highly regarded by The Legal 500 for his handling of cases involving the Hatch-Waxman Act and for his IP work in media, technology and telecoms, and life sciences. The Benchmark Litigation Guide has also recognized Jeff as a Litigation Star. In 2014, Jeff was awarded Lawyer of the Year for Patent Litigation in New York. He is regularly sought after for his cutting-edge knowledge and frequently writes and lectures on patent law as well as other IP-related issues.
Prior to joining Fenwick, Jeff was a partner in the IP group at a leading international law firm.
- “Inequitable Conduct, Willful Infringement and Antitrust Law: Navigating New Challenges in Patent Litigation, The Impact of Recent Patent Law Cases and Development, Inside The Minds,” Thomson Reuters, 2013
- “Surviving the Patent Shakeup,” Chief Executive Magazine, July/August 2008
- "Addressing second medical use infringement," Life Sciences Patent Network North America, June 1, 2017
- "Intellectual Property Law and the Biosciences," The Stanford Law School Conference, April 27, 2012
- "Understanding the Recent Bankruptcy Court Decision Threatens Intellectual Property Rights of Licensees from Foreign Owners," Knowledge Congress, September 2011
- “Emerging Intellectual Property Issues For Attorneys: A 2009 Update," Knowledge Congress, May 2009
“Jeffrey Oelke is an excellent litigator who is able to clearly communicate and explain complex legal issues to both internal management and to judges. He also has an excellent demeanor and rapport with both expert witnesses and inventors.”
Education & Admissions
J.D., University of Houston Law Center
B.S., Chemical Engineering, Kansas State University
Admitted to practice in New York
Admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York