Sarah advises emerging technology companies and the venture capital and strategic investors who fund and acquire them. Her clients reflect LA’s dynamic and diverse Silicon Beach tech scene, innovating across e-commerce and consumer products, software and big data, gaming, fintech, autonomous vehicles, medtech and digital health.
She practices primarily in the areas of startup company formation, corporate compliance, early- and growth-stage finance (equity and debt), technology licensing, mergers and acquisitions and strategic joint ventures. Sarah also has experience in the planning, structuring and formation of venture capital funds.
Sarah mentors, speaks and guest lectures frequently at incubators, accelerators, business organizations and universities in the greater Los Angeles area. She also sits on the Advisory Board of OSEA Angel Investors, an angel investment group focused on and driven by women executives and entrepreneurs.
Sarah is a Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Star (2015 – 2020), and was selected as one of Variety’s Hollywood’s New Leaders: Lawyers in 2013
Prior to joining Fenwick, Sarah was the leader of the venture capital and emerging companies/practice at a major national law firm. Before she began her legal career, Sarah taught elementary school in Compton, California, as a Teach For America corps member.
While attending law school, she was executive notes and comments editor for the Emory International Law Review.
Sarah served as corporate counsel in the formation, equity and debt financing and/or provision of general corporate advice for:
- Brud, a creator of virtual influencers
- Everytable, a healthy prepared food innovator
- Argaux, a virtual sommelier and wine discovery platform
- Nacelle, a headless e-commerce platform
- Windward Goods, hemp-based CBD for athletes
- Simon Miller, maker of “playful luxury” apparel
- Jaxon Lane, a Korean men’s skincare company
- Sweet Laurel, a whole foods baking company
- Donut Media, a multiplatform network catering to car enthusiasts
- Clutchpoints, a sports news, reporting and video multiplatform network
- thedFM.com, a marketing and public relations agency
- Formative, a formative assessment software platform for teachers
- Versus, an online gaming platform powering competitive play for real prizes
- EnrichHER, a platform enhancing funding for women-owned businesses
- Land Gorilla, a construction loan management platform
- Mirae Asset Global Investments, a global innovative asset manager
- LDR Ventures
- SameSide, platform for campaign and event management
She has also represented both emerging and mature companies in the negotiation of agreements related to licensing and development of intellectual property, including software as a service (SaaS) agreements, master service agreements and software development agreements.
Select Prior Firm Experience
- Investor counsel to an American DJ, songwriter and record producer
- Investor counsel to a high net worth individual in investment in Solstice Studios
- Investor counsel to a family office in investment in New Republic Pictures
- Fund formation counsel to a production company
- Investor counsel to various high net worth angel investors in seed stage and follow-on investments in the technology and consumer products spaces
- Corporate counsel in seed convertible note financings in a number of early-stage technology companies, including corporations and limited liability companies
Mergers & Acquisitions Transactions
- Corporate counsel to Versus in its reverse merger into a shell company publicly traded on the Canadian Securities Exchange
- Corporate counsel to an independent rights management and publishing company in negotiating a long-term global partnership with a record label
- Corporate counsel to a talent management house and an esports company in the sale of the companies to a leading talent agency
- Corporate counsel to a comic book and graphic novel publisher in its acquisition of a comic book publishing company
- Corporate counsel to a clothing design and retail company in its acquisition by a private equity group
- Corporate counsel to a publicly traded software company in its acquisition of certain IP assets of a German software development firm
Education & Admissions
J.D., Emory University School of Law
Loyola Marymount University
B.A., Sociology & Women’s Studies
Admitted to practice in California