Cynthia Clarfield Hess is
Co-Chair of Fenwick’s Startups and Venture Capital Group. She was recently
honored as one of the top 10 most trusted corporate counselors by The Recorder
and has been included in their list of “Top Women Leaders in Tech Law” for the
past three years. The Legal 500 has singled Cindy out as one of the “leading
names in Silicon Valley.” Cindy is also recognized as one of California’s “Top
Women Lawyers” by the Daily Journal. The Silicon Valley Business Journal named
Cindy as one of the leading Women of Influence in Silicon Valley.
In her 25 plus years as a corporate attorney, Cindy has counseled technology companies on a broad range of corporate transactional matters, from formation matters and venture capital financings to mergers and acquisitions and public offerings, representing both companies and underwriters. She has worked with a wide range of high-technology clients – from established technology stalwarts to emerging companies developing disruptive technologies, which include some of the hottest and most innovative companies in the mobile, SaaS and social media spaces.
Throughout her career, she has also built results-oriented business connections resulting in many long-standing relationships with both investors and company executives— many of whom are long-term clients who continue to turn to Cindy for counsel and representation as they move on to new companies.
Cindy finds great satisfaction in working with companies that are revolutionizing the way that everyday users of technology interact with the world. Her combined technology experience, astute attention to detail, and ability to see the “big picture” are just a few of the valuable qualities she brings to her clients as their trusted business advisor.
Cindy is also heavily engaged in Fenwick’s Israel Practice Group and is currently representing a number of Israeli companies. Some of her representative international clients have included: CloudOn, Gigya, Kenshoo, Shopping.com, Taboola, Topio, Totango and Yevvo.
- Represented GoPro, the world’s fastest growing camera brand, in their $200 million cross-border investment deal with Foxconn Electronics Inc and is currently providing day-to-day counseling to the company.
- Represented YuMe, a provider of digital video brand advertising solutions, in its initial financings, acquisitions and public offering and is currently providing day-to-day counseling to the company.
- Represented Nextdoor Inc., a provider of private social networks centered around neighborhoods and communities, in several successive multi-million dollar financing rounds and is currently providing day-to-day counseling to the company.
- Represented Bytemobile, a leading provider of data and video optimization solutions for mobile network operators, in its acquisition by Citrix Systems, Inc.
- Represented LendingClub in multiple financing rounds and is currently providing day-to-day counseling to the company.
- Represented Hightail (formerly YouSendIt) in multiple financing rounds and is currently providing day-to-day counseling to the company.
- Represents Cisco Systems, Inc. in all their strategic investment work.
What Can You Expect When You Work with Cindy?
Cindy is a value-add team member, providing practical legal and business advice and thinking creatively to address vital issues that arise during important transactions. When it comes to technology companies and deals in the technology space, Cindy has virtually seen and done it all, and is committed to putting her legal expertise and knowledge of the technology marketplace to work for every client.
More about Cindy
Cindy is married and has two teen-aged daughters. She enjoys traveling, sporting events (particularly tennis) and spending time with her family and friends.