David Michaels concentrates his practice on mergers and acquisitions, public and private debt financings and other strategic and financing transactions. He has nearly 30 years of experience representing companies in a broad range of transactions and industries.
David represents clients in complex strategic transactions and acquisitions, including public company mergers and tender offers, private company acquisitions and joint ventures. His M&A experience includes a number of cross-border transactions involving clients based in China, Japan, Singapore, Europe and Israel, and includes transactions in the technology, life sciences and digital entertainment industries. David also counsels companies and their boards on corporate governance and shareholder activist matters.
Recent acquisition transactions include:
- $8 billion sale by Symantec Corporation of its information management business to The Carlyle Group
- King Digital Entertainment’s $5.9 billion acquisition by Activision Blizzard
- Giant Interactive Group’s $3 billion going-private acquisition by a private-equity backed consortium
- Spreadtrum Communications’ $1.78 billion acquisition by Tsinghua Unigroup
- Ocular Sciences’ $1.2 billion acquisition by The Cooper Companies
- Singapore Telecommunications’ $810 million acquisition of Trustwave and $321 million acquisition of Amobee
- Interwoven’s $775 million acquisition by Autonomy
- Flextronics International’s $2.4 billion acquisition of Dii Group, its $725 million acquisition of Nortel Networks; and dozens of other acquisitions for Flextronics
- Connetics’ $640 million acquisition by Steifel Laboratories
- Electronic Arts’ $680 million acquisition of JAMDAT Mobile; and a number of other acquisitions for EA
- Silicon Image’s $600 million acquisition by Lattice Semiconductor
- Dragonplay’s $100 million acquisition by Bally Technologies
- RAE Systems’ going-private acquisition by Vector Capital
- Peplin’s $287 million acquisition by LEO Pharma
- Acquisitions by Shutterfly of MyPublisher and BorrowLenses
- Acquisitions by FanDuel of AlphaDraft and numberFire
David has played a lead role in a number of capital markets and debt financing transactions.
Recent capital markets and debt financing transactions include:
- Cisco Systems’ $8 billion debt offering and $4 billion debt offering
- Public debt offerings for Agilent, Intuit and Symantec
- Convertible debt offerings by Amyris, Cepheid, Concur, Proofpoint, ServiceNow, Symantec and Workday
- Syndicated credit facilities for Agilent, Airbnb, Chegg, Cisco Systems, Dropbox, Diamond Foods, Fitbit, GoPro, Intuit, LendingClub, Symantec, Turn Networks, VeriSign and Flextronics
David also has significant experience with a wide range of derivative transactions.
During law school, he served as an editor of the Cornell Law Review.