David Michaels concentrates his practice on mergers and acquisitions, public and private debt financings and other strategic and financing transactions. He has nearly 30 years of experience representing companies in a broad range of transactions and industries.
David represents clients in complex strategic transactions and acquisitions, including public company mergers and tender offers, private company acquisitions and joint ventures. His M&A experience includes a number of cross-border transactions involving clients based in China, Japan, Singapore, Europe and Israel, and includes transactions in the technology, life sciences and digital entertainment industries. David also counsels companies and their boards on corporate governance and shareholder activist matters.
Recent acquisition transactions include:
- Multiple transactions for Symantec, including its $7.4B sale of its information management business to The Carlyle Group, its $4.65B acquisition of Blue Coat Systems, its $2.3B acquisition of LifeLock and related financing transactions
- King Digital Entertainment’s $5.9B acquisition by Activision Blizzard
- Shanghai Giant Network Technology and consortium of investors in its $4.4B acquisition of CIE's Playtika
- Giant Interactive Group’s $3B going-private acquisition by a private-equity backed consortium
- Infoblox's $1.6B acquisition by Vista Equity Partners
- Spreadtrum Communications’ $1.78B acquisition by Tsinghua Unigroup
- Ocular Sciences’ $1.2B acquisition by The Cooper Companies
- Singapore Telecommunications’ $810M acquisition of Trustwave and $321M acquisition of Amobee
- Interwoven’s $775M acquisition by Autonomy
- Flextronics International’s $2.4B acquisition of Dii Group, its $725M acquisition of Nortel Networks; and dozens of other acquisitions for Flextronics
- Connetics’ $640M acquisition by Steifel Laboratories
- Electronic Arts’ $680M acquisition of JAMDAT Mobile; and a number of other acquisitions for EA
- Silicon Image’s $600B acquisition by Lattice Semiconductor
- Dragonplay’s $100B acquisition by Bally Technologies
- RAE Systems’ going-private acquisition by Vector Capital
- Peplin’s $287B acquisition by LEO Pharma
- Shutterfly's acquisition of MyPublisher and BorrowLenses
- FanDuel's acquisition of AlphaDraft and numberFire
David has played a lead role in a number of capital markets and debt financing transactions.
Recent capital markets and debt financing transactions include:
- Cisco Systems’ $8B debt offering and $4B debt offering
- Public debt offerings for Agilent, Intuit and Symantec
- Convertible debt offerings by Amyris, Cepheid, Concur, Proofpoint, ServiceNow, Symantec and Workday
- Syndicated credit facilities for Agilent, Airbnb, Chegg, Cisco Systems, Dropbox, Diamond Foods, Fitbit, GoPro, Intuit, LendingClub, Symantec, Turn Networks, VeriSign and Flextronics
David also has significant experience with a wide range of derivative transactions.
During law school, he served as an editor of the Cornell Law Review.