Larissa Neumann focuses her practice on U.S. tax planning and tax controversy with an emphasis on international transactions. She has broad experience advising clients on mergers and acquisitions, restructurings and transfer pricing issues. She has successfully represented clients in tax controversies at the audit level, in appeals and in tax court and in federal courts.
Larissa teaches International Tax Law at Berkeley Law School.
Larissa’s keen analytical skills coupled with her focus on providing clients practical solutions to complex tax issues have earned her a reputation as a leading tax advisor both in the Silicon Valley and nationwide. Larissa appears in Euromoney’s World’s Leading Tax Advisers and International Tax Review's World's Tax Controversy Leaders. Euromoney selected Larissa for inclusion in the “Americas Women in Business Law Awards” shortlist for Best in Tax Dispute Resolution in 2014 and she was named the 2015 Rising Star: Tax. In 2016, Larissa was named a Rising Star in tax by Law360. She was also named to the Silicon Valley Business Journal's 40 Under 40.
Larissa frequently speaks at conferences for professional tax groups, including TEI, IFA, Pacific Rim Tax Institute, Bloomberg, and the ABA. She is the ABA International Law Tax Liaison.
Larissa has published numerous articles, including:
- IRS Taking a Hard Look at Transfer Pricing, Daily Journal (September 2016)
- New Intercompany Debt Rules Shock Multinational Companies, Euromoney’s LMG Rising Stars 2016
- The Top U.S. Tax Controversies in 2016, International Tax Review (2016)
- Responding to the Changes in the Transfer Pricing Landscape, International Tax Review, May 2016
- US Tax Overview, Euromoney’s LMG Rising Stars 2015
- US transfer pricing litigation update, International Tax Review (March 2015)
- Areas of TP Scrutiny in a pre- and post-BEPS World, International Tax Review (February 2015)
- U.S. International Tax Developments, The Euromoney Corporate Tax Handbook 2015
- U.S. Transfer Pricing Developments, International Tax Review (2014)
- U.S. Tax Developments, International Tax Review (December/January 2013)
- Character and Source of Income from Internet Business Activities, The Contemporary Tax Journal (July 2011)
- The Application of the Branch Rule to Partnerships, International Tax Journal (July - August 2010)
Fenwick has one of the World’s Top Tax Planning and Tax Transactional Practices, according to International Tax Review, and is first tier in tax, according to World Tax. Fenwick is consistently named the San Francisco Tax Firm of the Year by International Tax Review and has been named U.S. Tax Litigation Firm of the Year a number of times. International Tax Review has recognized Fenwick as the Americas M&A Tax Firm of the Year and the West Coast Transfer Pricing Firm of the Year.
Larissa is a leader on Fenwick’s Pro Bono Review Committee and regularly provides pro bono services to various nonprofit organizations. Fenwick was recognized by The National Law Journal Pro Bono Hot List (2014) and Larissa’s nonprofit work is pointed to as exemplary in the profile.