Sheeva Ghassemi-Vanni advises employers on a multitude of labor and employment issues such as hiring, progressive discipline, and termination; employee handbooks; reductions in force; leaves of absence; disability accommodation; wage and hour issues; non-competition and non-solicitation covenants; social media; and compliance with state and federal employment laws. She also represents employers in litigation regarding age, gender, race, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, and religious discrimination; sexual harassment; wrongful termination; retaliation; wage and hour disputes; and trade secrets. In addition, she advises companies regarding labor and employment issues arising in mergers and acquisitions.
Selected Publications and Seminars
- Quoted in Addressing ‘Egregious’ Online Behavior, published in Human Resources Executive Online, November 19, 2014.
- Penalizing Employee Posts May Violate Protected Activity, published in Law360, October 14, 2014.
- Quoted in US workers, employers test ‘unlimited vacation,’ published in Yahoo! Finance, December 22, 2013.
- Is an Honor Vacation Policy Right for My Company?, video published by Fenwick & West LLP, October 14, 2013.
- Social Media Policies And The NLRB: What Employers Need To Know, published by Fenwick & West LLP, March 1, 2013.
- Death of a Paper Salesman? An Analysis of Going Paperless, published in Bloomberg Law Reports - Technology Law, June 27, 2011.
- Privacy of Email and Text Messages – Case Law Sprinting to Catch Up to Modern Technology, published in Bloomberg Law Reports – Privacy & Information, March 4, 2011.
- Quoted in Muslim Employees: Valuable but Vulnerable, published in HR Magazine, March 1, 2011.
- Battling Weight Bias in The Workplace, published in Employment Law 360, February 10, 2011.
- “Demystifying Leaves of Absence,” Fenwick & West Employment Practices Group Breakfast Briefing Series, 2011, Co-Presenter.
- Dialing Into the Modern Workplace, published in the Daily Journal, October 11, 2010.
- A Wake-up Call for 21st Century Employer, published in the Daily Journal, September 29, 2010.
- “Posts, Tweets, Texts, and Pokes: Emerging Social Media Issues in the Workplace – Best Practices and Policies to Avoid Liability,” Fenwick & West Employment Practices Group Breakfast Briefing Series, 2010, Co-Presenter.
- “Legal Implications of Social Media and How to Protect Yourself,” Mountain View Chamber of Commerce, 2010, Presenter.
- “Preventing Sexual Harassment,” Fenwick & West Employment Practices Group Breakfast Briefing Series, 2010, Co-Presenter.
Organization and Community Participation
- San Jose/Silicon Valley NAACP: General Counsel 2007-present, Vice President 2009-2011
- Mountain View Chamber of Commerce: Board of Directors 2010-2013