Doug Cogen concentrates his practice on mergers and acquisitions, strategic and commercial transactions, corporate counseling and financings. His practice also includes advising publicly traded and privately held companies with respect to corporate, securities, commercial and intellectual property licensing matters generally. He has served as a member of the firm's Executive Committee.
Doug's transactional experience includes over $75 billion of completed mergers, acquisitions and divestitures including cross-border transactions in the networking, software, life sciences, medical devices, telecommunications, semiconductor, internet, computer hardware and consumer products industries; public company tender offers; and private placements of equity and debt securities. Doug also counsels companies on corporate governance matters, takeover defenses and strategic partnering arrangements.
Doug's technology transactions include:
- Over 100 deals for Cisco Systems, including:
- Scientific-Atlanta, for $6.9 billion
- NDS Group, for $5 billion
- WebEx Communications, for $3.2 billion
- Starent Networks, for $2.9 billion
- Sourcefire, for $2.7 billion
- VeriSign's $21 billion merger with Network Solutions
- Excite's $7.2 billion merger with @Home Corporation
- NetScreen Technologies' $4.3 billion merger with Juniper Networks
- Macromedia's $3.4 billion merger with Adobe Systems
- Elantec Semiconductor's $1.4 billion acquisition by Intersil Corporation
- Symantec's $830 million acquisition of Altiris
Doug's life sciences transactions include:
- Agilent Technologies’ $1.5 billion acquisition of Varian
- Connetics' $930 million merger with Stiefel Laboratories
- Vysis’ $365 million acquisition by Abbott Laboratories
- Peplin’s $287.5 million acquisition by LEO Pharma
- Agilent Technologies’ $250 million acquisition of Stratagene
Doug’s awards and recognitions include:
- named one of the Top 50 Global M&A Lawyers by Global M&A Network in 2014
- awarded “M&A Lawyer of the Year” by Global M&A Network in 2010
- ranked one of the Top 100 Attorneys in the State of California by Los Angeles Daily Journal and San Francisco Daily Journal in both 2013 and 2006
- listed as “Highly Recommended” in M&A and Corporate Finance in PLC Which Lawyer?
- ranked in Corporate Law/M&A by Chambers USA
- named one of the Best Lawyers in America in Mergers & Acquisitions Law by Best Lawyers
- named Northern California “Super Lawyer” by Law & Politics and San Francisco magazines
- named one of the Best Lawyers in the Bay Area by Bay Area Lawyer magazine
- named Top Dealmaker-Lawyer by AlwaysOn and KPMG
- named one of the 500 Leading Dealmakers in the United States by Lawdragon
Doug received his B.A., magna cum laude, with Academic Honors, in architecture and society from Brown University, where he was elected Phi Beta Kappa. He attended the University of Michigan Law School, receiving his J.D. cum laude. Doug has also served as Director of Intergovernmental Relations for the New York City Planning Commission. Doug has lectured on transactional law at Columbia University Law School, Stanford University Law School and the Stanford Graduate School of Business. He is a member of the state bars of California and New York.