We actively recruit diverse attorneys – race, gender, sexual orientation, physical ability, geographic/cultural background – through numerous channels, including on-campus initiatives, minority bar associations and job fairs. We believe that a diverse workforce helps us serve our clients better and fosters an environment of cooperation, respect, creativity and mutual understanding in which everyone thrives.
Fenwick has implemented a number of initiatives to support and encourage our diversity, equity and inclusion efforts, including:
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee: To refine existing diversity programs as well as plan and implement innovative new diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.
- Women’s Caucus: Focused on building the leadership, management and business development skills of our women attorneys.
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Leadership Initiative: Partners commit to fulfilling a variety of diversity-promoting action items throughout the year.
- Bar Association Activities: To promote the advancement of diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives in the broader legal community, Fenwick lawyers chair key diversity, equity and inclusion committees.
- Affinity Groups: Informal attorney groups centered on common interests and backgrounds to create a more comfortable and inclusive environment, formed for women, Asian, African American, Hispanic, LGBT and parenting members of the Fenwick community.
- 1L Diversity Scholarship: A commitment to maintain strong representation of diverse attorneys in Fenwick’s summer program as well as participation in minority job fairs and interfacing with diverse law student groups.
- OnRamp Fellowship: An innovative program launched by members of the legal industry in January 2014 to provide women lawyers re-entering the legal profession an opportunity to update their skills and legal contacts through one-year, paid positions with top law firms. Through the OnRamp Fellowship, Fenwick hires women with three or more years of legal experience who have taken a hiatus of two or more years from practice.
- Mansfield Certification: Recognizes “trailblazing law firms” for their commitment to supporting diverse lawyers pursuing leadership roles and promotions. Fenwick was one of the first firms to partner with Diversity Lab to pilot the Mansfield Rule, and in 2018 obtained Mansfield Certification for our commitment to diversity.
- Vendor/Supplier Diversity: Fenwick seeks to expand the diversity of its supplier and vendor base, and asks vendors to commit to the same non-discrimination policies to which the firm adheres.
Fenwick is ranked annually among the 10 most diverse U.S. law firms by The American Lawyer, and is also ranked the number two law firm for minority attorneys among similar size firms and a top three law firm for minority equity partners by Law360. The firm was also recognized as having the best national mentoring program in North America by Euromoney for the fifth consecutive year, and Fenwick consistently receives a 100 percent score (A+ rating) on The Human Rights Campaign Foundation's Corporate Equality Index for our pro-LGBTQ policies and working environment. Fenwick is also recognized by HRC as among a small pool of business that offer transgender-inclusive healthcare coverage.