Gordon Davidson advises high technology companies, clean technology and life sciences companies. Gordy’s clients range from start-ups to Fortune 1000 companies. He has worked on over 50 public offerings and has represented boards of directors, audit committees and executives in numerous special investigations.
His publicly traded clients have included:
- @Home Network
- Amyris, Inc.
- Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
- Cisco Systems, Inc.
- Cooper & Chyan Technology, Inc.
- Data Domain, Inc.
- DexCom Inc.
- Diamond Foods, Inc.
- Edify Corporation
- Elantec Semiconductor, Inc.
- Electronic Arts Inc.
- Exodus Communications, Inc.
- Facebook, Inc.
- FormFactor, Inc.
- Genelabs Technologies, Inc.
- Green Dot Corporation
- HNC Software, Inc.
- Homestore, Inc.
- Intuit Inc.
- InVision Technologies, Inc.
- KANA Software, Inc.
- Macromedia, Inc.
- Marin Software Inc.
- Meru Networks, Inc.
- Model N, Inc.
- Nuance Communications Inc.
- ONI Systems Corp.
- Opsware Inc.
- Oracle Corporation
- Responsys, Inc.
- ServiceNow, Inc.
- Shopping.com, Ltd.
- Shutterfly, Inc.
- Silver Spring Networks, Inc.
- Spansion, Inc.
- Symantec Corporation
- Synopsys, Inc.
- Transmeta Corporation
- VeriSign, Inc.
- VERITAS Software Corporation
- Vocera Communications, Inc.
Gordy also advises venture capital investors and investment banks in private and public financings.
He has also acted as lead counsel on over 100 mergers and acquisitions valued at more than $50 billion in the aggregate, including:
- $17 billion acquisition by VeriSign Inc. of Network Solutions Inc.
- $13 billion acquisition by Symantec Corporation of VERITAS Software
- $6.9 billion acquisition by Cisco Systems, Inc. of Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.
- $6.5 billion acquisition by Exodus Communications Inc. of GlobalCenter
- $3.75 billion acquisition of SuccessFactors, Inc. by SAP AG
- $3.4 billion acquisition of Macromedia, Inc. by Adobe, Inc.
- $2.5 billion acquisition by VERITAS Software Corporation of Seagate Software
- $2.4 billion acquisition of Data Domain, Inc. by EMC Corporation
- $1.78 billion acquisition of Spreadtrum Communications, Inc. by Tsinghua Unigroup Ltd.
- $1.4 billion acquisition by Intuit Inc. of Digital Insight
- $1.2 billion acquisition of Ocular Sciences, Inc. by The Cooper Companies
Gordy has spoken on current issues in IPOs at the Securities Regulation Institute and on corporate governance issues at the Stanford Directors College, lectured on venture capital investments at the Stanford Law School, the Stanford Business School and the Haas Business School, taught courses on Deals and Mergers & Acquisitions at Stanford Law School, and chaired the Practising Law Institute programs on Private Placements and Mergers & Acquisitions of High Technology Companies. He has also served on the boards of directors of non-profit organizations, including the Children’s Health Council and Pacific Community Ventures. He currently serves on the Board of Directors of BayBio.
Gordy is a member of the State Bar of California. He graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Stanford University in 1970 with a B.S. in electrical engineering and received an M.S. in computer systems from Stanford in 1971. He graduated from Stanford Law School in 1974 and was a member of the Order of the Coif. Prior to and during law school, Gordy worked as a computer systems engineer at Stanford Research Institute and at Measurex Corporation. Following law school, he was a law clerk for Judge Ben C. Duniway in the United States Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco.
Gordy's awards and recognitions include:
- one of the 100 Most Influential Lawyers in America by the National Law Journal in 2000, 2006, and 2013
- "Corporate Lawyer of the Year" for the Silicon Valley by Best Lawyers in 2009 and 2013
- “Securities Lawyer of the Year” for the San Francisco Area by Best Lawyers in 2010 and 2014
- first tier of Corporate/M&A attorneys in the U.S. by Chambers USA
- one of the 10 best corporate lawyers in California by California Lawyer magazine in August 2004
- one of a dozen lawyers named to the AlwaysOn Power Players West list for 2011
- one of the Top 25 Biotech Lawyers in California for 2011 by the Daily Journal
- one of the top 100 venture capital deal makers by Forbes magazine’s Midas List in 2001 and 2004 - 2007
- one of the top 100 lawyers in California by the Daily Journal (2012-2013)
- one of the 100 best lawyers in Northern California (2004 - 2012) and one of the three leading lawyers in Silicon Valley (2008) by Super Lawyers magazine
- one of "100 People Who Changed Our World" by Upside magazine in October 2001