About Our Litigation Practice
Our technology-based clients — including leaders in the Internet, computer hardware and software, digital media and entertainment, semiconductor, biotechnology and medical device industries — routinely call upon us to handle their most critical disputes. To meet the needs of these clients, we invest heavily to insure we understand the businesses and technologies behind their products, services and inventions.
- 90+ litigation attorneys, supported by dedicated, in-house teams of paralegals, staff scientists, document review specialists and IT
- National practice in state and federal venues across the U.S.
- Track record of obtaining successful outcomes on the largest and most complex "bet the company" cases as well as more typical commercial disputes
- Sophisticated in-house technical staff and software tools enable us to handle client documents and data in electronic form, to maximize the use of computerized search, storage and sorting tools, and to minimize expense
- Comprehensive understanding of our clients’ technologies and industries leads to litigation solutions that are also part of a business strategy
- Ranked as First Tier nationally (and in the San Francisco Bay Area) for IP litigation and patent litigation in the “Best Law Firms” guide released by U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers (2013)
- Awarded “U.S. Copyright Case of the Year” by Managing IP magazine for the firm’s successful defense of Democratic Underground in Righthaven v. Democratic Underground (2012)
- Recognized as a “Go-To” law firm for Fortune 500 companies in the areas of litigation and IP by American Lawyer Media (2012)
- Named to The National Law Journal’s inaugural “Intellectual Property Hot List”—one of only 20 firms selected in the U.S. for patent, copyright, trademark, and creative strategies for litigation, patent prosecution, licensing other transactional work (2012)
- Ranked as one of the top law firms nationally (and in the San Francisco Bay Area) for commercial litigation in the “Best Law Firms” guide released by U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers
- Ranked by Corporate Counsel as one of the Top 10 “Go-To” IP litigation firms in the U.S. for Fortune 100 companies (2011)
- Ranked by Vault as one of the top 20 U.S. law firms for IP litigation and counseling
- Copyright Litigation Group includes “Best Lawyers in America” and “Top 20 Under 40” award winners
- Ranked by IP Worldwide as one of the top dozen firms that Fortune 500 companies relied on for IP litigation
- Ranked by Managing Intellectual Property as one of the top five West Coast firms in both IP litigation and IP protection
- Ranked by IP Law & Business as one of only 20 "Go To Law Firms on the Cutting Edge" for patent litigation in the U.S.
- Awarded "Most Innovative Use of Technology by a Law Firm" in 2005 by American Lawyer Media for F.I.N.D.—the firm's proprietary electronic discovery and due diligence system
- Awarded one of 10 "Best in Class" awards by Computerworld magazine for the firm's eDiscovery forensics system
- Obtained $75M patent litigation verdict for client Asyst, one of the top 10 IP litigation verdicts of 2007
- Obtained a $400M mid-trial settlement for client Compuware against IBM, one of the 25 largest IP Litigation payouts in U.S. history
Litigation Management Tools
We provide clients with the tools they need to manage our efficiency and collaborate effectively, leading to client satisfaction and predictability in outside counsel expenses. These tools include:
- Secure extranet site for access to litigation materials
- Budgets and invoices
- Current docket of court deadlines
- Key case documents, including pleadings
- Team contact information
- Advanced pricing system provides highly accurate budgets as well as detailed budget tracking over the course of the matter
- Weekly project updates
- Proprietary electronic discovery systems
- Proven to reduce spending on electronic discovery, on average, by 20% over other systems currently available
- Massive document storage, sorting and search capability
- Unicode search capability for foreign-language productions
- Software tools and search capabilities that permit efficient identification and discovery of responsive material in electronic format
- IT department that routinely collaborates with client IT departments to improve communication, streamline discovery and reduce costs
Our litigation group has significant experience litigating and managing complex, multi-jurisdiction IP disputes, including managing matters in Asia and Europe. We have a strong network of international firms with whom we work. We select the best counsel in each jurisdiction, based on the specific client need. Because many of these relationships are decades old, our clients receive seamless service and billing when we collaborate with one of our foreign law firm partners.
Fenwick is also Safe Harbor compliant, committed to handling all data subject to the European Union Directive on Data Protection and/or the Federal Data Protection and Information Commission of Switzerland in accordance with the Safe Harbor Principles of the U.S. Department of Commerce.