In 2013, there were several employment law developments that will undoubtedly affect your workplace. The Fenwick & West Employment Practices Group invites you to attend its annual complimentary briefing to learn more about the most important developments from 2013, and offer recommendations to effectively comply with significant changes in the law in 2014 and beyond.
- Wage/Hour: California’s staged minimum wage increase (and its effect on the minimum salary for certain exempt employees); added penalties for wage-and-hour-related retaliation; limitation on employer recovery of attorneys’ fees in wage claims; and important intern and other worker classification developments.
- Equal Employment Opportunity: Expansion of California’s Fair Employment and Housing Act to cover military and veteran status; new California law regarding sexual harassment; and other developments regarding gender, age, disability and race discrimination and harassment.
- Leaves of Absence: Court guidance on additional leave as a reasonable accommodation for pregnancy-related issues and expansion of leave for victims of crime and stalking.
- Arbitration: New court decisions regarding enforceability, particularly with respect to “class action waivers.”
- Social Media: Court and NLRB guidance on postings, policies and account ownership and state legislation protecting employee social media account privacy.
- Select Employee Benefits: San Francisco Family Friendly Workplace Ordinance; extension of Paid Family Leave benefits during a leave to care for grandparents, siblings, and in-laws; and important amendments affecting employer responses to unemployment insurance claims.
- Agencies: Impact of EDD determination on subsequent agency claim.
Join us on January 16, 2014 for this complimentary program as we explain how these and many other developments will impact your workplace.