Download the full report.
We analyzed the terms of 234 venture financings closed in the fourth quarter of 2018 by companies headquartered in Silicon Valley. We found that valuation results are at three-year highs, with the software industry recording the strongest valuations. Our data also show a steep decline in the use of multiple liquidation preferences.
Valuation Results Hit Multiple-Year Highs
Valuation results in the fourth quarter of 2018 improved upon the already strong levels recorded in the prior quarters of the year and are at three-year highs.
- Up rounds exceeded down rounds 81% to 8%, with 11% flat in Q4 2018, an increase from Q3, when up rounds exceeded down rounds 78% to 9%, with 13% flat.
- The Fenwick & West Venture Capital Barometer™ showed an average price increase in Q4 2018 of 85%, up from the 71% recorded in the prior quarter, and the highest average price increase since Q3 2015.
- The median price increase of financings in Q4 2018 was 52%, an increase from the 42% recorded in Q3, and the highest median price increase since Q2 2015.
All Financing Series on the Rise
- Stronger valuation results compared to the prior quarter were recorded across each series of financing.
Software Industry Scores Strongest Valuations
- The software industry recorded the strongest valuation results in Q4 2018, with an average price increase of 118% and a median price increase of 58%, both significantly higher compared to the prior quarter.
- The internet/digital media industry recorded the next strongest valuation results in the quarter with an average price increase of 68% and a median price increase of 56% in Q4.
- In contrast, the life sciences and hardware industries recorded weaker valuation results in Q4 compared to the prior quarter.
Use of Multiple Liquidation Preferences Plummets
- The use of multiple liquidation preferences declined sharply in Q4 2018.
Download the full report covering top-line trends for venture capital financings of Silicon Valley companies in Q4.
Also, check out our new Startup Resource Center, featuring articles, videos, checklists, presentations and other tools to help entrepreneurs navigate every stage of company growth.