- The Legal 500 recognized Andrew for patent licensing (2020)
- Super Lawyers recognized Andrew as a top technology transactions attorney in Santa Monica (2015 – 2018)
- Above the Law recognized Andrew as one of the top partners to work for (2010)
Leveraging nearly two decades of business and legal experience, Andrew navigates clients through the opportunities and risks faced by both emerging and mature companies, and is passionate about his clients and their business objectives.
Andrew is a Co-Chair of Fenwick’s consumer technologies and retail, and digital media and entertainment industry teams, as well as a principal member of its fintech group. He works with clients in a number of verticals, including e-commerce, consumer tech, fintech, enterprise software, blockchain, marketplaces, CPG, mobile, AI, social media, games and edtech, among others.
Andrew leads significant and complex strategic alliances, joint ventures and other collaboration and partnering arrangements, which are often driven by a combination of technological innovation, industry disruption, and rights to technology, media or brands. He also structures and negotiates a wide range of agreements and transactions, including:
- General intellectual property, technology and commercial transactions, including merchandise, content, brand and platform licenses;
- Strategic technology sourcing transactions (including SaaS, cloud and on-premises);
- Outsourcing transactions;
- Manufacturing and supply arrangements;
- Channel partnerships (e.g., sales representative, distributor and reseller);
- Joint development agreements; and
- Endorsement, influencer, branding and promotion agreements.
Additionally, Andrew counsels clients in various intellectual property, technology and contract issues in financing, M&A and other corporate transactions.
Apart from his transactional practice, Andrew provides strategic counseling regarding best practices to reduce the risks associated with doing business on digital platforms, from online, to mobile and social media, to connected devices, to enterprise and consumer blockchain implementations. This counseling often involves advice around intellectual property, consumer protection (e.g., warranties and subscription auto-renewal law) and international issues, as well as privacy and data security.
Andrew is an enthusiastic member of the LA tech community, having practiced technology law in Santa Monica since the “dot com” era. His passion for local startups carries over into helping his earlier stage clients develop, protect and monetize their IP; navigate the “grey areas” of the law inevitably present in innovation and disruption; and implement “playbooks” around the day-to-day contracts that make up their business.
Education & Admissions
J.D., University of New Hampshire, Franklin Pierce School of Law
Top of Class
B.A., cum laude, Ohio Wesleyan University
Admitted to practice in California
Admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the U.S. District Courts for the Central, Eastern, Northern and Southern Districts of California