- The Legal 500 recognized Andrew for patent licensing (2020)
- Super Lawyers recognized Andrew as a top technology transactions attorney in Santa Monica (2015 – 2018)
- Above the Law recognized Andrew as one of the top partners to work for (2010)
Leveraging nearly two decades of business and legal experience, Andrew navigates clients—at all stages of their lifecycles—through the opportunities and risks presented by novel and complex transactions and business models.
Andrew is a co-chair of Fenwick’s consumer technologies and retail, and digital media and entertainment industry teams, as well as a principal member of its fintech group. He works with clients in a number of verticals, including e-commerce, consumer tech, fintech, enterprise software, blockchain, marketplaces, CPG, mobile, AI, social media, games and edtech, among others.
Andrew leads significant and complex strategic alliances, joint ventures and other collaboration and partnering arrangements, which are often driven by a combination of technological innovation, industry disruption, and rights to content, brands or celebrity personas. He also structures and negotiates a wide range of agreements and transactions, including licensing, technology sourcing, manufacturing and supply, channel partnerships and marketing agreements. Additionally, Andrew counsels clients in various intellectual property, technology and contract issues in financing, M&A and other corporate transactions.
Apart from his transactional practice, Andrew provides strategic counseling regarding best practices to reduce the risks associated with doing business on digital platforms, from online, to mobile and social media, to connected devices, to enterprise and consumer blockchain implementations. This counseling often involves advice around intellectual property, consumer protection (e.g., warranties and subscription auto-renewal law) and international issues, as well as privacy and data security.
Andrew is an enthusiastic member of the LA tech community, having practiced technology law in Santa Monica since the “dot com” era. His passion for local startups carries over into helping his earlier stage clients develop, protect and monetize their IP; navigate the “grey areas” of the law inevitably present in innovation and disruption; and implement “playbooks” around the day-to-day contracts that make up their business.
- Leading cryptocurrency platform in strategic partnership with multi-national money transfer company
- Leading provider of charitable donation software in partnership with global payment network to develop and power charitable given mobile application
- Bolt in its strategic partnership with Authentic Brands Group (ABG) in which ABG's global e-commerce network will leverage Bolt's checkout, payments and fraud protection technology
- Multinational investment bank and financial services company in multiple strategic partnerships with FinTech providers in development of solutions to offer B2B payments
- Seal Software’s $188M acquisition by DocuSign
- Eden Technologies’ acquisition of Managed by Q
- American global manufacturer in negotiation of several agreements for the company to implement a procure-to-pay (P2P) solution
Prior Firm Experience
- Major bank in establishment of strategic partnership with leading blockchain/cryptocurrency company for cross-border payment solution
- Emerging IoT provider in strategic partnership with leading telecommunications company for the offering of IoT platform solution for SMB customers
- Major regional bank, Fortune 500 Company and numerous other clients in migration of IT operations and company data to cloud-based solutions—engagement included negotiation of agreements with cloud providers, leading consideration of regulatory issues and development of company policies with respect to cloud technology usage
- Outside general counsel for leading dating and social networking application—engagement included managing relationships with global user base, crisis and litigation management, privacy matters, programmatic advertising program, technology and brand partnerships, and management of all commercial contracts
- Fortune 150 company in negotiation of agreements and end-user documentation for development, distribution, marketing and sale of “smart” thermostat product, and counseling on all social media matters
- Leading hospitality company in development and offering of leading-edge “connected room” solution—engagement included negotiation of content and app in-license agreements, negotiation of hardware manufacturing agreements, IT infrastructure transactions, and intellectual property strategy
- Leading manufacturer of consumer products in hundreds of transactions in support of product development, in/out licensing, advertising, and strategic partnerships for development and launch of 3-D printing product, various “smart toys,” VR/AR and robotics
- Leading manufacturer of consumer products on a wide variety of high-dollar value and mission critical ITO, ADM and BPO outsourcing, and information technology transactions
- Alameda Research
- Backstop Solutions Group
- Bolt Financial
- Eden Technologies
- Goldman Sachs
- Jam City
- Red Ventures
- Seek Thermal
- The Fifty-Five Foundry
Education & Admissions
J.D., University of New Hampshire, Franklin Pierce School of Law
Top of Class
B.A., cum laude, Ohio Wesleyan University
Admitted to practice in California
Admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the U.S. District Courts for the Central, Eastern, Northern and Southern Districts of California