Janie represents high technology companies in a broad range of commercial and intellectual property litigation matters and investigations. Janie’s practice includes issues surrounding consumer class actions, arbitration, data breaches, cybersecurity, trademark, copyright, licensing, and trade secrets. Janie also advises clients on the assessment of legal risk and the minimization of exposure in related areas of IP rights, privacy, acquisitions, and regulatory compliance.
Janie maintains an active pro bono practice encompassing immigration law and civil rights, including: the obtainment of asylum on grounds of political opinion; representation of client for reduction of federal criminal sentencing; advisement on the expungement of Californian criminal records; volunteering at DACA and record expungement clinics; and her current work preparing a civil rights matter for trial in federal court involving allegations of excessive force and related constitutional violations.
Prior to joining Fenwick, Janie was an associate at an Am Law 100 firm where she represented clients in securities litigation, corporate governance, post-merger disputes and white-collar investigations involving allegations of fraud, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duties and other violations of state and federal law.
- Representation of public cloud services company in multi-district consumer class action arising out of data breach of a customer’s account.
- Advisement of virtual reality platform regarding implementation and enforcement of privacy and security policies.
- Representation of streaming platform in response to complaint arising out of data breach of the platform’s IP and user information.
- Advisement of online marketplace in internal investigation of fraudulent copyright take-down notices.
- Representation of e-commerce retailer against class actions alleging fraud, breach of contract, and violation of franchisor and consumer protection statutes.
- Representation of retail chain in mediation regarding data breach of customers’ personal information.
- Representation of retailer of dietary products in trademark infringement dispute.
Education & Admissions
J.D., cum laude, Santa Clara University
Order of the Coif
M.B.A., Santa Clara University
Beta Gamma Sigma Honors Society
B.A., Peace and Conflicts Studies; Minor, Anthropology
University of California, Berkeley
Admitted to practice in California
Registered to practice before federal and state courts