Jonathan Millard focuses his practice on counselling clients through complex technology transactions. Jonathan has extensive experience advising clients on technology aspects of mergers and acquisitions as well as advising on a broad range of commercial agreements and licensing arrangements for clients in the high technology industry. Jonathan has deep expertise in global outsourcing transactions and structuring and negotiating cross-border transactions and strategic alliances for a broad range of clients. In 2017, Jonathan was ranked in San Francisco Business Times’ 40 Under 40 list of top business leaders.
Jonathan also counsels clients with respect to privacy issues, particularly in the context of corporate acquisitions and international aspects of personal data processing and transfer, between the EU and the US. Jonathan is a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Multiple acquisitions for Cisco Systems, including:
- $2.53B acquisition of Duo Security
- $1.9B acquisition of Broadsoft
- $1.4B acquisition of Jasper Technologies
- $700M acquisition of Acano
- $452.5M acquisition of Lancope
- $600M divestiture of its Connected Devices business to Technicolor.
- $4.4B acquisition by a consortium led by Shanghai Giant Network Technology Co. (China) of Playtika from Caesars Interactive Entertainment
- $2.4B acquisition of Callidus Software by SAP
- $1.4B acquisition of AppLovin
- $600M acquisition of Silicon Image by Lattice Semiconductor
- $500M acquisition of Appirio by Wipro (India)
- $500M acquisition of Xamarin by Microsoft
- $250M acquisition of Learnvest by Northwestern Mutual
- Acquisition by American Express of InAuth
- Acquisition of Rise Labs by One Medical Group
- Acquisitions of Paradex and Earn.com by Coinbase
Outsourcing and Licensing
- Multiple global outsourcing transactions and business acquisitions for Accenture including the acquisition of Nokia's Symbian Business
- Advising Pfizer on the outsourcing of its HR functions across 27 jurisdictions
- Advising Citibank in relation to a Fund Administration Services Outsourcing and a Payment Processing Outsourcing
- Advising the Virgin Group on various complex outsourcing and licensing transactions
- Advising UpGuard on its strategic licensing arrangements.
- Advising on broad range of licensing structures including SaaS, software licensing, OEM, VAR, manufacturing and joint ventures.
Prior to joining Fenwick & West LLP, Jonathan practiced in the Technology Transactions group of Allen & Overy LLP in London and New York.
- Callidus Software
- Cisco Systems
Education & Admissions
PGD, Commercial Intellectual Property
Nottingham Law School, 2007
LPC, Nottingham Law School, 2001
University of Exeter, 2000
Admitted to practice in California