Sally focuses on international trademark and trade name counseling, including the development and management of international trademark portfolios and trademark rights online.
Sally is recognized as a global leader in trademark law by World Trademark Review. Sally is ranked among the top 5 trademark lawyers in the United States in Who’s Who Legal: Trademarks as a Thought Leader for her “super reputation…as one of the ‘top’ names in trademark law.” She has repeatedly won other international, national, state and Silicon Valley accolades including:
- Managing Intellectual Property: IP STAR and The Top 250 Women in IP (2014 – 2020)
- The National Law Journal: Intellectual Property Trailblazers & Pioneers (2014)
- World Trademark Review 1000: One of the top 9 trademark practitioners in the U.S. (Gold ranking 2012 – 2019)
- Chambers USA and Chambers Global: Intellectual Property – Trademark, Copyright & Trade Secrets (2009 – 2020)
- Euromoney’s Best of the Best Expert Guide (2019)
- The Legal 500: Trademark Litigation (2018 – 2019) and Trademark Non-Contentious (2020)
Sally was a pioneer in the international debate over trademark rights on the internet, including serving as the International Trademark Association’s representative on the 11-member International Ad Hoc Committee, the international body organized by the Internet Society, to restructure the domain name system. At the invitation of the World Intellectual Property Organization, Sally also participated in WIPO’s First Meeting of Consultants on Trademarks and Internet Domain Names held in Geneva in February 1997. Through WIPO and the National Arbitration Forum, she has served as a neutral panelist in over 60 domain name disputes brought under ICANN’s UDRP system.
Sally was a member of the INTA Board of Directors from 1998 to 2000. She chaired INTA’s Internet Subcommittee for two years and developed and chaired INTA’s Enforcement Committee. She teaches trademark law annually at an IP conference for federal court judges and teaches international trademark law at Berkeley Law.
“There’s nothing she hasn’t seen or done in the practice – she’s a total rock star,” commentators told WTR 1000, also noting that Abel is a “leading intellectual in the field,” who “comes up with creative ideas to resolve difficult disputes.”
- Cisco Systems
Education & Admissions
J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law
B.A., summa cum laude, History
University of California, Davis
Admitted to practice in California and several federal courts