Fenwick has once again received the highest designation in the directory, having been named a national gold-tier firm in the 2023 edition of the World Trademark Review (WTR) 1000. The firm also received a gold-tier designation in California.
Ranked among the nation’s top trademark firms, Fenwick is noted as “the destination of first choice for those who shape and lead technology industries.” WTR 1000 also notes the firm “knows how to protect, strengthen, and grow the brands of innovative companies. The [firm] has a deep bench of trademark experts, who register and enforce marks globally and who constantly add to the ensemble’s outstanding track record of success in major IP litigation.”
Eight Fenwick lawyers have also once again been individually recognized in this year’s guide. WTR 1000 named five Fenwick lawyers in this year’s national rankings: Sally Abel, Andrew Bridges, Connie Ellerbach, Karen Webb, and Jedediah Wakefield. They are also top ranked in California in their respective categories, alongside Eric Ball and Kathryn Fritz. In California, Fenwick has more partners recognized in the gold tier than any other firm, reinforcing the firm’s strength in the region. As a testament to the firm’s strong presence in New York, WTR 1000 recognized partner Mark Jansen for his expertise in both enforcement and prosecution.
Additional details about Fenwick’s top-ranked trademark lawyers:
- Sally Abel: The publication has recognized Fenwick’s trademark group founder and partner emeritus Sally as a “far sighted strategist.” She once again received a gold tier ranking both nationally and in California for the prosecution and strategy category. Sally has been consistently recognized by WTR 1000 for more than a decade.
- Eric Ball: As chair and partner of the firm’s trademark litigation practice, Eric appears on WTR 1000’s list of California’s leading trademark litigators for the seventh consecutive year in the enforcement and litigation category and is “known for his early resolution of disputes.”
- Andrew Bridges: WTR 1000 ranks partner emeritus Andrew among the country’s top trademark litigators, again recognizing his enforcement and litigation work in the gold tier. He also continues to receive top recognition in California. WTR 1000 notes that Andrew “stands out as a veteran of many notable global internet, technology, media, copyright, trademark, advertising and other litigation campaigns.”
- Connie Ellerbach: Trademark practice head and partner Connie is, for the 13th consecutive year, ranked gold in California for prosecution and strategy and received top recognition nationally. The publication notes that Connie was “recently tapped by long-term Fenwick & West client Intuit to assist with clearance and prosecution of INTUIT DOME, prior to the announcement of the company’s partnership with the Los Angeles Clippers NBA franchise to name the team’s under-construction arena – Intuit’s largest-ever naming deal.”
- Kathryn Fritz: Kathryn has once again been ranked in California by WTR 1000 in its enforcement and litigation category. Her practice concentrates on business and IP litigation, with an emphasis on trademark, right of publicity and copyright, especially as applied to new technology areas. WTR 1000 wrote that Kathryn is known in the industry for her “early resolution of disputes.” She currently serves as the firm’s general counsel and recently completed a 12-year term as the firm’s managing partner.
- Mark Jansen: WTR 1000 recognizes Mark among the top lawyers in New York in its enforcement and litigation and prosecution and strategy categories. Mark consistently keeps on top of the regulatory framework in each jurisdiction and the 24-hour news cycle to provide the world’s leading innovators with cutting-edge advice on highly complex trademark issues. His strong understanding of the technology and regulatory landscape helps him serve as a strategic partner to his clients, advising them on the nuances and sensitivities affecting their bottom line. This includes pulling together international strategy, tactically building and enforcing their portfolios and managing any dispute resolution.
- Jedediah Wakefield: Ranked in the gold tier nationally and in California, Jed is noted for “regularly defending and winning reverse confusion cases for fast-growing brands hit with opportunistic claims by smaller companies.” Jed is chair of Fenwick’s litigation group.
- Karen Webb: Karen is ranked once more as a top lawyer nationally and one of only three lawyers ranked gold in both the prosecution and strategy and enforcement and litigation categories in California. WTR 1000 notes she is an “essential contact for top companies.”
World Trademark Review 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals is an annual guide published by World Trademark Review honoring the top law firms and lawyers working on trademark prosecution and enforcement matters. In compiling the rankings, WTR 1000 researchers consider information provided from law firms on their work over the past year, insight from other legal professionals, and client input. More information on the methodology behind WTR 1000 is available through the World Trademark Review website. Full rankings: Fenwick & West LLP - WTR 1000 - World Trademark Review.