Joshua D. Geffon is a strategic partner to entrepreneurs, executives and in-house legal teams, collaborating with innovative emerging growth companies throughout their lifecycles, from nascent-stage startups to billion-dollar public corporations.
Josh advises technology, life science and consumer product companies on venture capital and debt financings, strategic initiatives, commercial arrangements, and mergers and acquisitions. He often serves as outside general counsel to clients, advising boards of directors and senior management on matters such as corporate governance, intellectual property and technology transactions.
Josh also represents several venture capital investors, private equity funds and investment banks in financings and portfolio investments.
Josh is the co-chair of the Private Equity and Venture Capital Committee of the Business Law Section of the American Bar Association. He is the former chair of the Venture Capital Financing Subcommittee and the Angel Financing Subcommittee of the same committee. He is an active participant in, and regular contributor to, the Mergers and Acquisitions Committee and the International Law Section of the American Bar Association.
Josh is a frequent guest speaker at universities, incubators and affiliated programs throughout the region and around the country, addressing audiences at several institutions including the University of California, Los Angeles, the University of Southern California, the MIT Enterprise Forum of the Central Coast and the University of California, Santa Barbara.
- Deckers Outdoor Corporation in connection with its asset acquisition to acquire the Sanuk brand, an action sport and adventure footwear brand
- Evolus in its acquisition by Strathspey Crown Holdings and in its exclusive licensing deal with Daewoong Pharmaceutical
- Be Green Packaging in its acquisition by the Riverside Company
- Anchovi Labs (a Caltech spin-out) in connection with its sale to Dropbox
- Santen Pharmaceutical of Osaka, Japan in connection with a strategic investment in Regenerative Patch Technologies
- Blavity in multiple rounds of financings with investors including Google Ventures, Macro Ventures, New Media Ventures, Cross Culture Ventures, Base Ventures, Comcast Ventures and Plexo Capital
- A private investment group in connection with Facebook’s initial public offering and certain private sale transactions
- MaC Venture Capital and Cross Culture Ventures in their venture investments for a number of portfolio companies, including fair, Airspace Technologies, Mayvenn, Wonderschool, droplet, Firefly, Mahmee, mSurvey, Ready Responders and Stampede
- Cool Planet in its Series C venture capital financing, with investments by Google Ventures, ConocoPhillips, GE Capital, NRG Energy, Constellation Energy, British Petroleum and North Bridge Venture Partners
- Bonfire Ventures in its venture investments for a number of portfolio companies
- Dragoneer Venture Capital Fund in connection with its investment into Onapsis SRL, an Argentinian company
- Okapi Ventures in its venture investments for a number of portfolio companies
- Powerhouse Capital in its investment into Wondery
* Includes work from a previous firm