Sheeva Ghassemi-Vanni advises startups, private companies and established public companies on a variety of labor and employment issues, including non-competition and employee mobility; hiring, performance management and termination (including reductions in force); employee handbooks, leaves of absence and accommodation; social media; and wage and hour matters. She also represents employers in litigation regarding age, gender, race, national origin, disability, sexual orientation and religious discrimination; sexual harassment; wrongful termination; retaliation; wage and hour disputes; and trade secrets. In addition, she advises companies regarding labor and employment issues arising in mergers and acquisitions. She was named to Silicon Valley Business Journal’s Silicon Valley Business Journal's 40 Under 40 list of standout professionals in 2016.
Selected Publications and Seminars
- Quoted in Don’t Text ;-) to Your Co-Worker; It Could Be Considered Harassment, published in the San Francisco Chronicle, July 31, 2017.
- Quoted in 3 ‘Ban the Box’ Mishaps Employers Should Steer Clear Of, published in Law360, June 5, 2017.
- Quoted in Addressing ‘Egregious’ Online Behavior, published in Human Resources Executive Online, November 19, 2014.
- Penalizing Employee Posts May Violate Protected Activity, published in Law360, October 14, 2014.
- Quoted in US workers, employers test ‘unlimited vacation,’ published in Yahoo! Finance, December 22, 2013.
- Is an Honor Vacation Policy Right for My Company?, video published by Fenwick & West LLP, October 14, 2013.
- Social Media Policies And The NLRB: What Employers Need To Know, published by Fenwick & West LLP, March 1, 2013.
- Death of a Paper Salesman? An Analysis of Going Paperless, published in Bloomberg Law Reports - Technology Law, June 27, 2011.
- Privacy of Email and Text Messages – Case Law Sprinting to Catch Up to Modern Technology, published in Bloomberg Law Reports – Privacy & Information, March 4, 2011.
- Quoted in Muslim Employees: Valuable but Vulnerable, published in HR Magazine, March 1, 2011.
- Battling Weight Bias in The Workplace, published in Employment Law 360, February 10, 2011.
- “Demystifying Leaves of Absence,” Fenwick & West Employment Practices Group Breakfast Briefing Series, 2011, Co-Presenter.
- Dialing Into the Modern Workplace, published in the Daily Journal, October 11, 2010.
- A Wake-up Call for 21st Century Employer, published in the Daily Journal, September 29, 2010.
- “Posts, Tweets, Texts, and Pokes: Emerging Social Media Issues in the Workplace – Best Practices and Policies to Avoid Liability,” Fenwick & West Employment Practices Group Breakfast Briefing Series, 2010, Co-Presenter.
- “Legal Implications of Social Media and How to Protect Yourself,” Mountain View Chamber of Commerce, 2010, Presenter.
- “Preventing Sexual Harassment,” Fenwick & West Employment Practices Group Breakfast Briefing Series, 2010, Co-Presenter.
Organization and Community Participation
- San Jose/Silicon Valley NAACP: General Counsel 2007-present, Vice President 2009-2011
- Mountain View Chamber of Commerce: Board of Directors 2010-2013