Michael provides strategic counseling to emerging and high-growth companies primarily in the digital health, consumer and enterprise tech, social networking, software and cloud computing industries.
He has a passion for working with cutting edge companies that are changing industries and improving lives. This passion stems from his prior experience as general counsel of a venture-backed healthcare IT company. That inside view provides him with a deep understanding of entrepreneurs and an ability to anticipate his clients’ unique business and legal needs not just for today or tomorrow, but over a company’s entire lifecycle.
An aggressive and tireless advocate for entrepreneurs and the companies and teams they have built, Michael advises clients on all aspects of general corporate and securities law — from formation and corporate governance responsibilities, to equity incentives and employment issues, to intellectual property and commercial transactions. He has negotiated and structured a wide variety of strategic transactions, including seed and venture capital financings, mergers and acquisitions, IPOs, corporate reorganizations and debt financings. He also represents and advises incubators, angel investors, venture capitalists and investment banks.
Extremely active in the growing digital health and healthcare IT industries, Michael serves as an advisor to Rock Health, the sector's leading full-service seed fund. He also regularly contributes to Fenwick's Life Sciences Legal Insights blog where he writes about the latest issues and trends affecting the digital health and mobile health industries.
Get a glimpse of Michael’s insights on valuation and deal structure in a presentation he gave to a group of seed and angel investors.
Michael has represented some of the world’s most cutting-edge startups in their financings, including representing the following companies in multiple rounds of funding:
- Mango Health, a digital health company helping individuals develop good daily health management habits.
- Mimosa Networks, a leader in cloud-managed, fiber-fast wireless solutions for the post-copper era.
- Omada Health, a digital behavioral medicine company.
- Augmedix, a physician-centered service powered by Google Glass.
- Quixey, a mobile technology company providing better access and engagement with apps.
- Everlane, an innovative high quality retail fashion venture.
- Tile, a smart location company.
- Saildrone, a provider of ocean data collected by a fleet of unmanned, autonomous sailing drones.
- Science Exchange, the leading marketplace for scientific research.
- Propeller Health, the leading digital solution for respiratory health management.
- Evidation Health, a company helping healthcare companies quantify and prove value in medicine’s digital era.
Michael has also represented various venture capital funds in investments in companies ranging from car-sharing technology to cloud storage to a social network for gamers. Additionally, he has advised leading clients on their M&A transactions, including:
- GoPro, maker of the world’s most versatile cameras, in a $200 million acquisition of shares by Foxconn, the world’s largest electronics manufacturing company. Represented GoPro in its IPO.
- AppLovin, a leading mobile marketing platform, in its $1.4 billion sale transaction with Orient Hontai Capital.
- Rise Labs, a popular health coaching platform, in its acquisition by One Medical Group.
What Can You Expect When You Work with Michael?
Michael’s guiding principles are to thoughtfully safeguard his clients’ long-term interests and help them to be innovative with their technologies, yet practical and straightforward in their legal affairs. You can expect to work with someone who shares your enthusiasm and passion and will proactively address legal challenges so that you can focus on your business.
What excites Michael most about his practice is working with game-changing entrepreneurs whose ideas are breaking new ground every day. With Michael as your adviser, you’ll have an attorney who understands your business and the needs of entrepreneurs and rapidly growing companies, and who can help you navigate the ever-changing waters of emerging industries and the laws that apply to them. He will be a long-term partner in the growth of your company and an integral member of the team that you rely on for your company’s success. Read more about Michael in his interview with The Recorder.
More About Michael
A high-energy advocate who works tirelessly on behalf of his clients, Michael was recognized as one of the emerging leaders in the legal industry in the Daily Journal’s annual “Top 20 Under 40” for his work advising companies that seek to disrupt traditional healthcare markets and practices.
He was born and raised in Los Angeles and still, deep down, calls it home. His family runs a small food production company there, and, if not an attorney, Michael would be in Southern California working with his brother to support and grow the family business. He’d also like to take a swing at a startup, but bemoans his lack of ability to write code.
When he’s not working, he spends his time trying to get in a bit of exercise and keep up with his three kids, two of whom became black belts in karate by the age of 10.