Josh is a strategic partner to entrepreneurs, executives and in-house legal teams, collaborating with innovative companies—from nascent stage emerging growth companies to multibillion-dollar public corporations—on a wide variety of strategic initiatives. Josh also represents several venture capital and corporate investors, private equity funds and investment banks in financings and portfolio investments.
Technology, life science and consumer product companies and their investors rely on Josh for commercial alliances, mergers and acquisitions, venture capital and debt financings as well as technology arrangements. He often advises boards of directors and senior management on matters such as corporate governance and intellectual property transactions, and negotiates strategic transactions on behalf of corporations.
Josh is the Chairman of the American Bar Association’s Private Equity and Venture Capital Committee. He is the former chair of the Venture Capital Financing Subcommittee and the Angel Financing Subcommittee of the same committee. He is an active participant in, and regular contributor to, the Mergers and Acquisitions Committee and the International Law Section of the American Bar Association.
Josh is a frequent guest lecturer at universities, incubators and affiliated programs, addressing audiences at institutions such as the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), the University of Southern California (USC) and the MIT Enterprise Forum of the Central Coast of California.
- Santen Pharmaceuticals Co., a Japanese pharmaceutical company focused on ophthalmology, in connection with strategic investments and collaborations with several life science businesses including jCyte Inc., Regenerative Patch Technologies and Glaukos Corporation
- Deckers Outdoor Corporation, a footwear designer and distributor, in various strategic transactions, including the investment and subsequent acquisition of Hoka One One, and its asset acquisition of the Sank brand, an action sport and adventure footwear brand
- Mythic Therapeutics, a biotechnology company focused on groundbreaking antibody therapies for cancer, in its $17M Series A financing
- Levels Health, a biowearable system that provides feedback on metabolism, in its $12M series seed financing led by Andreessen Horowitz
- ThinkIQ, a digital manufacturing SaaS business, in its $11.6M Series A financing led by Ecosystem Integrity Fund (EIF) with participation from Hitachi Ventures, ArcTern Ventures, Bonfire Ventures and Sino Capital
- Umbra Labs, a synthetic aperture radar (SAR) microsatellite company, in its $33M Series A financing
- Seek Thermal, a B2C infrared thermal imaging camera company, in securing in excess of $45M through multiple rounds of venture capital financing
- Blavity, an American internet media company created by and for black millennials, in multiple rounds of financings with venture capital funds, including Google Ventures and Comcast Ventures
- Investment Group of Santa Barbara (IGSB) in its venture investments for a number of portfolio companies, including AppFolio and Facebook
- RightScale in its sale to Flexera
- Evolus in its acquisition by Strathspey Crown Holdings and in its exclusive licensing deal with Daewoong Pharmaceutical
- Be Green Packaging in its acquisition by the Riverside Company
- Anchovi Labs (a Caltech spin-out) in connection with its sale to Dropbox
- A private investment group in connection with Facebook’s initial public offering and certain private sale transactions
- MaC Venture Capital and Cross Culture Ventures in their venture investments for a number of portfolio companies, including Everywhere Apparel, Bridgefy, Purestream Trading Technologies, Mayvenn, Airspace Technologies, Wonderschool, droplet, Firefly, Mahmee, mSurvey, Ready Responders and Stampede
- Cool Planet in its Series C venture capital financing, with investments by Google Ventures, ConocoPhillips, GE Capital, NRG Energy, Constellation Energy, British Petroleum and North Bridge Venture Partners
- Bonfire Ventures in its venture investments for a number of portfolio companies
- Okapi Ventures in its venture investments for a number of portfolio companies
- Powerhouse Capital in its investment into Wondery
* Includes work from a previous firm
Education & Admissions
J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law
Recipient of the Drown Fellowship
B.A., magna cum laude
University of California, Los Angeles
Admitted to practice in California and the District of Columbia