Samuel (Sam) Angus concentrates his practice on advising founders, boards of directors, startup/venture-backed and mature companies and investors in a broad set of transactions, including early and late stage equity and debt financings, mergers and acquisitions, strategic joint ventures and corporate governance and board members.
In 2018, The Legal 500 highlighted Sam among the United States’ leading lawyers for venture capital and emerging companies work. Sam was also named a 2018 BTI Client Service All-Star for his superior client service.
- Airbnb, incorporated company, corporate counsel for multiple equity/debt financings (announced) totaling over $2.3B, multiple acquisitions
- Github, $7.5B acquisition by Microsoft and multiple equity financings totaling over $350M (announced)
- Marin Software, incorporated company, multiple equity/debt financings through IPO
- Upwork, multiple equity financings for oDesk (predecessor of Upwork), merger with Elance to form Upwork
- Glint’s acquisition by LinkedIn
- TSheets’ acquisition by Intuit
- Kosmix’s acquisition by Walmart Labs
- Naxon Corporation’s (Wineshopper.com) acquisition of Wine.com
- Ingenio’s acquisition by AT&T Yellow Pages
- Junglee’s acquisition by Amazon.com
- Blue Lava Wireless (Tetris) acquisition by and license to JAMDAT Mobile
- Qik’s acquisition by Skype
- Shotgun Software and Tweak Software’s acquisition by Autodesk
- DeviantArt’s acquisition by Wix.com
- JotSpot’s acquisition by Google
- Next New Media’s acquisition by Google
- Broadbase Software’s acquisition by Kana Communications
- Spectrum Astro’s acquisition by General Dynamics
- Vantra Group’s acquisition by ADP
- MuDynamics’ acquisition by Spirent Communications
- Cloudscape’s acquisition by Informix
- In-System Design’s acquisition by Cypress Semiconductor Corporation
Prior to joining Fenwick & West, Sam practiced commercial lending law at Lillick & Charles. Prior to becoming a lawyer, Sam was a founder and the chief executive officer of Design Look Publications, a publisher of fine art calendars and other published gift products.
Sam sits on the advisory board of the Lester Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation at the University of California, Berkeley. He also frequently lectures at the Haas School of Business and the Stanford Technology Ventures Program.