Alan Smith is the firmwide Chair of Fenwick & West’s Corporate Group, a 200+ person team comprised of more than 150 attorneys focused on advising technology and life sciences companies, and recently recognized by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® 2017 as one of the nation’s “Best Law Firms” for corporate, M&A, private equity, securities and venture capital. Alan has been recognized as one of the top corporate and mergers and acquisitions lawyers in Washington State by Chambers USA annually since 2008, as a Washington “Super Lawyer” annually since 2003, as one of the top M&A lawyers by Legal 500 and as one of The Best Lawyers in America for venture capital, M&A and securities/capital markets.
Alan’s practice focuses on providing strategic advice to companies to position them for and help them through critical junctures – obtaining initial funding, negotiating strategic transactions, deciding about company growth and exit opportunities, and raising capital in private and public markets.
His clients include leading public and private technology and life sciences companies, as well as many prominent venture capital firms. His technology experience spans a wide range of technologies, including software, Internet/eCommerce, hardware, SaaS/cloud computing, mobile and wireless, data storage and consumer products. His life sciences experience includes biotechnology companies developing therapeutics for oncology and immunological indications and medical device companies pursuing cardiac, neurological and surgical indications, as well as diagnostics and drug delivery devices.
With strong ties to both the venture community and emerging companies, Alan’s most rewarding career moments involve connecting innovative entrepreneurs with interested investors and helping their startups grow into established companies that revolutionize technologies and industries.
- Represented Cray, a global leader in supercomputing, in the $140M sale of its interconnect hardware development program to Intel and its approximately $22M acquisition of Appro International. Currently providing ongoing counseling to the company.
- Represented Redfin, a customer-first real estate brokerage, in its $70.9M venture financing and its acquisition of Walk Score. Currently providing ongoing counseling to the company.
- Represented buuteeq, one of the leading digital marketing platforms for hotels, in its acquisition by The Priceline Group Inc., and its previous $10M Series B financing round.
- Represented Smartsheet, a leading SaaS company, in its $35M financing and in previous financing rounds. Currently providing ongoing counseling to the company.
- Represented Act-On Software, a leading marketing automation provider for small and mid-market enterprises, in its $42M venture financing. Currently providing ongoing counseling to the company.
- Represented OncoGenex Pharmaceuticals, a biopharmaceutical company developing new cancer therapies, in its $50M public stock offering. Currently providing ongoing counseling to the company.
- Represented Qumulo, an enterprise data storage company, in its most recent $32.5M Series C financing and its $24.5M Series A financing. Currently providing ongoing counseling to the company.
- Represented Cascadian Therapeutics, a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to developing innovative product candidates for the treatment of cancer, in its $41.8M concurrent at-the-market offerings of common stock and Series D convertible preferred stock.
- Represented Trupanion, a provider of pet medical insurance, in its initial public offering. Currently providing ongoing counseling to the company.
- Represented Swype, a software provider that makes it easier to keyboard information on touch screens, in its $100M acquisition by Nuance Technologies.
- Represented Accelecare, Inc., a national wound treatment center operator, in its $70M private equity financing and its recent acquisition by Healogics, Inc.
- Represented leading venture capital firms in strategic investments including Draper Fisher Jurvetson, Clarus Ventures, JAZZ Venture Partners, Madrona Ventures, Trinity Ventures and Voyager Capital.
- Represented both issuers and underwriters on numerous IPOs and other public offerings, including offerings by Boeing, Corixa, Immunex, Icos, ImageX, OncoGenex, Cascadian Therapeutics, Onyx Software, SonoSite, Targeted Genetics, ShopNow.com, Trubion, Trupanion, WatchGuard Technologies and Zillow.
What Can You Expect When You Work with Alan?
Clients rely on Alan for thoughtful, strategic and practical advice that takes into account both business and legal challenges. He listens to his clients from more than just a legal standpoint; his attention is focused on the entire business – from the idea, the founders, the investors and the board of directors, to the marketing strategy and the company’s relationship with important partners and vendors – while never taking his eye off such nuts and bolts as regulatory compliance, employee relations and governance requirements. He considers each and every client a long-term relationship, representing them from formation through initial public offering and beyond.
More about Alan
Alan is a frequent speaker on a wide range of corporate finance topics, including the initial public offering process, venture capital and angel financing, and mergers and acquisitions.
When not wearing his “lawyer hat”, he likes to play ice hockey – notwithstanding the inevitable injuries that come from (in his words) “old men playing a fast-paced game on a slippery surface with hard objects”. He also enjoys skiing and ski racing, cycling, mountaineering, waterskiing and enjoying the Pacific Northwest outdoors with his family.