Antonia Sequeira focuses her practice on patent prosecution, counseling, analysis and litigation. Her technology focus includes medical and biotechnology device, digital health/health IT, laboratory automation, bioscience, biopharmaceutical, genomics, proteomics, genomic diagnostics, clean technology, social networking, computer security, electronic commerce, VR/AR, and other software and Internet technologies.
Antonia’s practice involves managing U.S. and international patent portfolios, post grant proceedings, intellectual property litigation, due diligence and freedom to operate analyses, drafting opinions on non-infringement and patent validity, product development counseling, licensing, and patent portfolio analyses.
Representative health technologies handled by Antonia include:
Medical or biotechnology device
- Medical or biotechnology devices
- surgical robotics
- electrolytic coils for brain aneurysms
- lens capsulotomy / cataract surgery devices
- liquid transfer robotics
- stroke treatment devices
- laboratory instruments
- medical imaging
- surgical instruments
- consumer diagnostic devices
Digital health/ health IT / mHealth
- wearable health devices/biosensors
- consumer/patient mobile health apps
- physician/hospital health apps
- virtual reality/augmented reality for patient rehabilitation
- hospital workflow and records software
- pill identification software
- social networking in health
Before law school, Antonia was a researcher on the Drosophila Genome Project at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, and she worked in a clinical laboratory and an emergency room. She has founded two startups, one in biotech (MEMS biochip for high-throughput drug synthesis and screening) and one in the kitchen appliance sector.
Antonia’s industry awards include:
- 2016 Silicon Valley Business Journal, Woman of Influence
- 2016 Bizwomen, Woman to Watch in Silicon Valley
- 2016 Euromoney's Americas Women in Business Law Awards shortlist for Rising Stars in Intellectual Property
- 2015 The Legal 500, recognized in patent work
Antonia's publications and speaking engagements include:
- Antonia L. Sequeira, Navigating Digital Health Patents in a Post-Alice World, eHealth Law & Policy journal, August 31, 2016
- Antonia L. Sequeira, Patent Strategies in the Digital Health Care Space, Daily Journal, July 10, 2015.
- XX in Health Retreat, 2014 Speaker, Best Patent Practices for Digital Health Startups
- Antonia L. Sequeira, Don’t Just Patent Everything, You Need to Have a Strategy, Daily Journal, April 17, 2013.
- Antonia L. Sequeira, Patentability Black Hole, Daily Journal, March 10, 2011.
- Antonia L. Sequeira, EPA Regulations Change, Limiting Trade Secret Protection of Chemicals, Intellectual Property Bulletin, Fenwick & West, LLP, Fall Bulletin 2010.
- Antonia L. Sequeira, Federal Patent Law Does Not Protect Patentees from State Trade Secret Misappropriation Claims, Intellectual Property Bulletin, Fenwick & West, LLP, Spring Bulletin 2009.
- Antonia L. Sequeira, American Inventors Need Patent System with Greater Transparency, Fairness, Los Angeles Daily Journal, September 7, 2007.
- Antonia L. Sequeira, Court Compels Google to Release Search Engine Data, Intellectual Property Bulletin, Fenwick & West, LLP, Summer Bulletin 2006.
- Antonia L. Sequeira, Federal Circuit Requires Clear Assertion of Lexicographer Rule, Los Angeles Daily Journal, April 18, 2005.
- Antonia L. Sequeira, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. v. Samara Bros., 16 Berkeley Tech. L.J. 251 (2001).