Samuel Angus concentrates his practice on advising startup/venture-backed companies, seed, venture capital and debt financings, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property licensing, joint ventures and general corporate matters.
Sam represents a broad range of companies from privately held startup companies to publicly traded corporations. His practice also includes advising entrepreneurs and investors.
- Airbnb, incorporate company, multiple equity/debt financings (announced) totaling over $2.3 billion, multiple acquisitions
- Blue Lava Wireless (Tetris) acquisition by and license to JAMDAT Mobile
- Broadbase Software's acquisition by Kana Communications
- Cloudspace's acquisition by Informix
- Github’s $7.5 billion acquisition by Microsoft and in multiple equity financings (announced) totaling over $350 million
- Ingenio's acquisition by AT&T Yellow Pages
- In-System Design's acquisition by Cypress Semiconductor Corporation
- JotSpot's acquisition by Google
- Junglee's acquisition by Amazon.com
- Kosmix's acquisition by Walmart Labs
- Marin Software, incorporated company, multiple equity/debt financing through IPO
- MuDynamics' acquisition by Spirent Communications
- Naxon Corporation's (Wineshopper.com) acquisition of Wine.com
- Next New Media's acquisition by Google
- Qik's acquisition by Skype
- Shotgun Software and Tweak Software's acquisition by Autodesk
- DeviantArt's acquisition by Wix.com
- Spectrum's Astro's acquisition by General Dynamics
- Upwork, multiple equity financings for oDesk (predecessor of Upwork), merger with Elance to form Upwork
- Vantra Group's acquisition by ADP
Prior to joining Fenwick & West, Sam practiced commercial lending law at Lillick & Charles. Prior to becoming a lawyer, Sam was a founder and the Chief Executive Officer of Design Look Publications, Inc., a publisher of fine art calendars and other published gift products.
Sam sits on the advisory board of the Lester Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation at the University of California, Berkeley. He also frequently lectures at the Haas School of Business and the Stanford Technology Ventures Program. In 2018, The Legal 500 highlighted Sam among the United States' leading lawyers for venture capital and emerging companies work. Sam was also named a 2018 BTI Client Service All-Star for his superior client service.