Lisa Kenkel focuses her practice on working with information technology and life sciences companies on all forms of commercial transactions involving technology and intellectual property, including structuring and negotiating joint-development agreements, collaborations, strategic alliances, and patent and technology licenses. She also advises clients on the intellectual property aspects of mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, and venture capital and strategic investments. She has been involved in over 50 acquisitions in the information technology and life sciences industries with a total acquisition value in excess of $50 billion and specializes in the structuring and execution of business spin-out transactions.
Her recent clients and transactions include:
- SonoSite, Inc.: $995 million acquisition by FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation
- Trubion Pharmaceuticals, Inc.: $196 million collaboration agreement with Facet Biotech Corporation
- Peplin, Inc.: acquisition by LEO Pharma A/S for $287.5 million
- Teikoku Pharma USA Inc.: acquisition of Travanti Pharma Inc.
- DexCom, Inc.: $37 million collaboration agreement with Edwards Lifesciences Corporation
- Allen Institute for Brain Science
- Dermira, Inc.
- OncoGenex Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Personalis, Inc.
Prior to joining Fenwick & West, Lisa served as General Counsel of Corel Corporation, a developer of business and graphics software, and previously was an associate with Blake, Cassels & Graydon in Ontario, Canada.
Lisa serves on the Board of Directors of the Law Foundation of Silicon Valley, the largest provider of pro bono legal services in the Silicon Valley. She was the recipient of the firm’s Pro Bono Partner of the Year Award for 2011, awarded for her leadership and oversight of the Share of Costs Health Care Clinic, which helps low-income seniors and the disabled obtain access to health care. She has also been named by San Francisco magazine as a Northern California "Super Lawyer" and is listed as one of the one of the World's Leading 1000 Patent Practitioners in the IAM Patent 1000 for 2012-2014.