- Chambers USA consistently recognizes Alan as a top corporate, capital markets and mergers and acquisitions lawyer in Washington State (annually since 2008)
- The Legal 500 recognized Alan as a top capital markets and fintech lawyer (2020)
As a strategic advisor to founders and company executives, Alan assists clients with financings, founder disputes, M&A, tender offers, hostile takeovers, shareholder activism and board management concerns.
Alan has more than 20 years of experience advising startups on their journey of growth into world-class public companies. Focusing on the technology, biotechnology and medical devices sectors, Alan guides clients through critical junctures in their lifecycle, from obtaining initial funding to raising follow-on capital and evaluating exit opportunities.
Notable recent examples include cloud-based software company Smartsheet, which Alan advised from formation to its public offering, and real estate site Redfin, which Alan assisted from Series A to IPO.
Recognized as one of the nation’s leading lawyers for corporate, M&A, capital markets, securities and venture capital, Alan also assists companies with regulatory compliance, employee relations and governance requirements. He serves as chair of Fenwick’s corporate group.
Alan dives deep into a range of technologies, including e-commerce, hardware, software/SaaS and cloud computing, mobile and wireless, data storage and consumer products.
He also represents biotech companies developing therapeutics for oncology, immunological, neurological and other indications, and medical device companies pursuing cardiac, neurological and surgical indications, and diagnostics and drug delivery devices.
With strong ties to both the venture community and emerging companies, Alan’s most rewarding career moments involve connecting innovative entrepreneurs with interested investors and helping their startups grow into established companies that revolutionize technologies and industries.
Clients rely on Alan for thoughtful, strategic and practical advice that takes into account both business and legal challenges. He focuses his attention on the entire business—from the concept, founders, investors and board of directors to the marketing strategy and the company’s relationship with important partners and vendors.
Alan is frequently sought as a speaker on a wide range of corporate finance topics, including the initial public offering process, venture capital and angel financing, board governance and other public company governance matters and mergers and acquisitions. Alan currently serves on the advisory board of TheCorporateCounsel.net, which assists the publication in further developing its corporate and securities law community.
Another of Alan’s passions is mountaineering; he recently completed a goal to climb all 20 Cascade Volcanoes (and ski down most of them) and is planning his next adventures. When not scaling and skiing the peaks, Alan also enjoys ski racing, cycling, ice hockey, waterskiing, wakesurfing and spending time outdoors in the Pacific Northwest with his family.
- Represented Impel NeuroPharma, a late-stage pharmaceutical company developing transformative therapies for diseases of the central nervous system, in its $80M initial public offering. Currently providing ongoing counseling to the company.
- Represented Icertis, a contract intelligence company, in its $80M Series F financing and in previous financing rounds. Currently providing ongoing counseling to the company.
- Represented Outreach, the largest and fastest-growing sales engagement and intelligence platform provider, in its $200M Series G financing and in previous financing rounds.
- Represented Cray, a global leader in supercomputing, in its $1.3B acquisition by Hewlett Packard Enterprise and the $140M sale of Cray’s interconnect hardware development program to Intel and its approximately $22M acquisition of Appro International.
- Represented Redfin, a customer-first real estate brokerage, in its initial public offering, its $70.9M venture financing and its acquisition of Walk Score. Currently providing ongoing counseling to the company.
- Represented Smartsheet, a leading SaaS company, in its $175M initial public offering, its $52M Series F financing and in previous financing rounds. Currently providing ongoing counseling to the company.
- Represented OncoGenex Pharmaceuticals, a biopharmaceutical company developing new cancer therapies, in its merge with Achieve Life Science and its $50M public stock offering. Currently providing ongoing counseling to the company.
- Represented Qumulo, an enterprise data storage company, in its most recent $30M Series C prime financing and in previous financing rounds. Currently providing ongoing counseling to the company.
- Represented Trupanion, a provider of pet medical insurance, in its initial public offering. Currently providing ongoing counseling to the company.
- Represented leading venture capital firms in strategic investments including Draper Fisher Jurvetson, Clarus Ventures, JAZZ Venture Partners, Madrona Ventures, Trinity Ventures and Voyager Capital.
- Represented both issuers and underwriters on numerous IPOs and other public offerings, including offerings by Boeing, Corixa, Cray, Immunex, Icos, ImageX, Impel Neuropharma, OncoGenex, Cascadian Therapeutics, Onyx Software, Redfin, Smartsheet, SonoSite, Targeted Genetics, ShopNow.com, Trubion, Trupanion, WatchGuard Technologies and Zillow.
- Achieve Life Sciences
- Act-On Software
- Blue Note Therapeutics
- Impel NeuroPharma
- Madrona Venture Group
- Navigating Cancer
- Orca Computing
- Stoke Pharmaceuticals
- Voyager Capital
Alan “consistently has our best interests in mind and provides thoughtful and reasonable advice.”
- Named “Lawyer of the Year” in corporate law by Best Lawyers (2020)
- Washington Super Lawyer (annually since 2003)
- Highlighted by The Legal 500 as among the United States’ leading lawyers for capital markets work (2020) and as a leading M&A and technology transactions lawyer
- Among the best lawyers in America for corporate law, venture capital, M&A, technology and securities/capital markets, U.S. News & World Report’s Best Lawyers Guide (annually since 2012)
- Top tech lawyer, Greater Seattle Tech Ecosystem Report by the Iinnovate Leadership Network and the University of Washington Bothell (2018)
Education & Admissions
J.D., Stanford Law School
Order of the Coif
B.A., Stanford University
Admitted to practice in Washington