Christopher represents technology and life sciences companies in patent litigation, including Federal Circuit Appeals, district court litigation, International Trade Commission investigations, state court proceedings and inter partes reviews. He has successfully defended clients in all phases of litigation, from discovery through trial and appeals.
Before joining Fenwick, Christopher was an associate at an international law firm, where he advised clients on a wide variety of intellectual property matters. In addition to his patent litigation practice, Christopher counseled clients on evaluating intellectual property portfolios for corporate mergers and acquisitions, financings and investment rounds.
Christopher also maintains an active pro bono practice and is a contributor to the Innocence Project. He was a member of a trial team that secured a successful federal jury verdict on behalf of a client against a large international retail corporation, and he also obtained a favorable court resolution for a pro bono client in a contentious family law dispute.
Prior Firm Experience
- Member of trial team that secured a complete $24M verdict for a global life sciences company and a university in a patent infringement suit brought against a competitor regarding sophisticated genetic testing methods. A Delaware federal jury held that the asserted patents were valid and infringed and awarded the total of requested damages. After a Delaware federal judge upheld the jury’s verdict, there was a significant follow-on victory when the court granted the clients a permanent injunction barring the competitor from manufacturing or selling several of the accused products that infringed the patents-in-suit. Christopher subsequently assisted in securing Federal Circuit affirmation of the verdict award and permanent injunction.
- Member of a trial team that obtained a jury trial victory for two biotechnology companies in a patent infringement case brought against a diagnostics company regarding revolutionary noninvasive prenatal testing. An N.D. Cal. Jury found in favor of the clients, awarding nearly $27M in damages. Christopher subsequently assisted in securing Federal Circuit affirmation of the verdict.
- Member of a trial team that achieved a $12.5M breach of contract verdict for a Silicon Valley technology startup against a multinational telecommunications equipment manufacturer that used the startup’s source code in its products without making the requisite payments.
- Member of a trial team that earned a $9.25M patent infringement verdict for the surviving family members of a deceased inventor against a leading international energy company involving automated synchronous price and advertising technology.
- Secured a six-figure civil judgement in a breach of contract action for dozens of clients against a technology manufacturer and its proprietor that accepted payment and then failed to deliver cryptocurrency mining equipment.
Education & Admissions
J.D., with honors, Boston University School of Law
Member, Journal of Science & Technology Law
B.A., with honors, Economics
University of Rochester
Admitted to practice in California
Registered to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California