Jessica practices intellectual property litigation, with a focus on representing consumer goods, technology and life sciences companies. She has experience litigating utility patents, design patents and trademarks, and has experience in all aspects of litigation, including taking and defending fact and expert depositions, arguing claim construction, drafting summary judgment and evidentiary motions, trial, and appeal. Jessica has experience in a variety of venues throughout the country, including federal district courts, the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, the International Trade Commission and the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. She also advises clients regarding patent and trademark prosecution strategy.
Jessica is actively involved in the Washington legal community, including serving on the executive board of the Seattle Intellectual Property Inn of Court and on the board of Mother Attorney Mentoring Association of Seattle, an organization designed to empower female attorneys and encourage professional success.
Jessica has also been involved in several significant pro bono efforts, including drafting patent applications to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and consulting companies on IP licensing matters.
Prior to joining Fenwick, Jessica worked as an associate at a patent litigation firm in New York.
- Obtained favorable jury verdict for plaintiff on liability and damages in trademark litigation related to consumer goods in the Western District of Washington.
- Obtained favorable decision for defendant on a motion to dismiss, invalidating multiple video and data-related patents in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Achieved favorable results for defendant in series of patent litigations relating to video games, including decision at the Federal Circuit of invalidity under Section 101 and voluntary dismissal of multiple patents. Case settled on confidential terms.
- Obtained General Exclusion Order in an ITC investigation on behalf of plaintiff in consumer goods case.
- Obtained favorable evidentiary and other pretrial rulings on behalf of plaintiff in the Central District of California, which resulted in favorable settlement terms for client.
- Secured $0 settlement in defense of consumer goods trademark case on behalf of defendant.
- Obtained dismissal for defendant prior to discovery and without any compensation paid, in case brought by a prolific non-practicing entity in the Northern District of California.
- Obtained favorable claim construction ruling on behalf of plaintiff in consumer goods case in the Western District of Washington. As a result of the ruling, client obtained settlement on favorable terms.
Education & Admissions
J.D., New York University, School of Law
Staff Editor, Journal of Intellectual Property and Entertainment Law
B.S., magna cum laude, Bioethics, Society and Applied Genetics
University of California, Los Angeles
Admitted to practice in Washington and New York
Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office