Julia advises on U.S. tax planning and tax controversy matters, with an emphasis on international tax planning (inbound and outbound), mergers and acquisitions, and transfer pricing. She represents clients from a diverse set of industries and geographic areas. She has represented a number of Fortune 500 companies in U.S. federal income tax matters and has successfully represented clients in federal tax controversies at all levels.
Julia was named as Tax Dispute Resolution Lawyer of the Year in 2021 and was shortlisted in the Tax Lawyer of the Year category in 2022 and 2020 by International Tax Review at the Americas Women in Business Law awards, and honored as one of the top 40 lawyers under 40 in the U.S. by the American Bar Association in 2018. She has appeared in Euromoney’s Expert Guides and International Tax Review’s Women in Tax Leaders.
In addition, Julia teaches international tax at UC Berkeley School of Law and in the Master’s Program at San José State University. Julia is an author of a monthly column in Tax Notes on international tax developments and regularly speaks at major tax conferences for professional tax groups, including for the International Fiscal Association, ITR, Pacific Rim Tax Institute, and Euromoney. Julia is also the co-President of the Northern California region for the International Fiscal Association.
- Julia was counsel in successfully settled Conversant et al. v. Commissioner, Tax Court Docket No. 030476-14, and was on the trial team that was successful in Analog Devices & Subsidiaries v. Commissioner, 147 T.C. No. 15 (Nov. 22, 2016).
- Facebook in its $5.7B investment for a 9.99% stake in Jio Platforms, the biggest telecom operator in India and a subsidiary of multinational conglomerate Reliance Industries. Facebook’s investment in Jio Platforms is reported to be the largest foreign direct investment in the Indian technology sector
- GitHub, the world’s leading software development platform, in its $7.5B acquisition by Microsoft
- Facebook in its $2B acquisition of Oculus, which won ITR’s Consumer Products Deal of the Year
- Goldman Sachs and 13 major New York banks in their investment in Symphony Communications, which won ITR's Joint Venture of the Year award
- J.P. Morgan, Barclays and ICAP in their investment in Cloud9 Technologies, which was shortlisted for ITR's America’s Banking Tax Deal of the Year
- 35 major domestic and foreign banks (e.g., Citibank, Bank of America and Merrill Lynch) in their consortium investment in R3, which won ITR's America’s Financial Services Tax Deal of the Year award
- General Motors in its acquisition of Cruise Automation, a leader in autonomous driving technology, which was shortlisted for ITR’s America’s Consumer Products Tax Deal of the Year
- Jet.com in its acquisition by Walmart, which was shortlisted for ITR’s Consumer Products Tax Deal of the Year
- Symantec in its acquisition of LifeLock, which was shortlisted for ITR’s Consumer Products Tax Deal of the Year
- “Proposed FDII Treasury Regulations Bring Some Clarity,” Tax Notes International, April 8, 2019
- “Taxation of Intellectual Property under Domestic Law, EU Law and Tax Treaties,” International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation, EC and International Tax Law Series, June 2018
- “IRS Notice 2018-26: Important New Guidance on the Mandatory Repatriation Tax,” Fenwick & West, April 6, 2018
- “OECD’s Recent Discussion Drafts Give Broad Power to the Taxing Authorities,” ITR Women in Tax Leader’s Guide, September 2017
- “IRS Taking a Hard Look at Transfer Pricing,” Daily Journal, September 2016
- “New Intercompany Debt Rules Shock Multinational Companies,” Euromoney’s LMG Rising Stars, Summer 2016
- “US Tax Developments Affecting Financial Institutions and Products,” International Tax Review - Financial Services, Spring 2014
- "Seeking Privileged Information Under Schedule UTP: Protections and Privileges for Taxpayers," DePaul Business & Commercial Law Journal, Spring 2011
Education & Admissions
J.D., University of California, Berkeley, School of Law
B.S.B.A., summa cum laude, Accounting
International Business Certificate
University of Arizona, Eller College of Management & the Honors College
Admitted to practice in California
Member of the American Bar Association Section of Taxation