Ora concentrates her practice on U.S. corporate and international taxation. She represents clients in tax planning and tax controversy matters, with an emphasis on international tax planning, cross-border and domestic mergers, acquisitions and restructurings. Her clients come from a diverse set of industries and geographic jurisdictions (including both domestic and foreign entities) and range in size from startups to large Fortune 500 companies.
Ora was awarded the inaugural Euromoney’s Americas Rising Stars Award for Best in Tax and Tax Disputes in 2019 and 2018. Ora also appears in Euromoney’s 2019, 2018 and 2017 Expert Guides: Rising Stars, in the Tax category. She was also recognized by California Super Lawyers as a Rising Star in 2019 and 2018.
Ora has substantial experience representing buyers and sellers in domestic and cross-border merger and acquisition transactions. She regularly represents serial acquirers and has extensive experience advising on sophisticated corporate transactions. In some noteworthy transactions, Ora represented:
- Dermira in its $1.1B acquisition by Lilly
- Audentes Therapeutics in its $3B acquisition by Astellas
- SignalFx in its $1.05B acquisition by Splunk
- Imperva in its $2.1B acquisition by Thoma Bravo
- Cloudera in its $5.2B merger of equals with Hortonworks
- Cray in its $1.3B acquisition by Hewlett Packard Enterprise
- Shutterfly in its $2.7B acquisition by Apollo Global Management and its $825M acquisition of Lifetouch
- Cisco Systems in numerous transactions, including its $2.6B acquisition of Acacia Communications, its $3.7B acquisition of AppDynamics (for which Fenwick & West was honored with the M&A Atlas Global Tech Deal of the Year award), its $2.35B acquisition of Duo Security, its $1.9B acquisition of Broadsoft (for which Fenwick was honored with the M&A Atlas Technology M&A Deal of the Year award), its $1.4B acquisition of Jasper Technologies, its $700M acquisition of Acano, its $610M acquisition of Viptela (for which Fenwick & West was honored with the M&A Atlas Technology M&A Deal of the Year award) and the sale of its Service Provider Video Software Solutions Business to Permira
- Symantec in several transactions, including the $10.7B sale of its Enterprise Security worldwide assets to Broadcom, the $7.4B sale of its worldwide information management business (for which Fenwick was honored with the M&A Atlas Global Private Equity Deal of the Year award) and the sale of its worldwide Website Security Business to DigiCert
- Diamond Foods in its approximately $1.9B acquisition by Snyder’s-Lance
In addition, Ora teaches International Tax law at UC Berkeley School of Law and regularly speaks at tax conferences for professional tax groups, including for the International Fiscal Association, American Bar Association Section of Taxation, and International Tax Review. She also frequently leads workshops on Business Law Basics for new entrepreneurs and small businesses.
Ora serves as chair of the Fenwick’s Pro Bono Review Committee and is a member of Fenwick’s Pro Bono Review Committee. She regularly provides pro bono services to various nonprofit organizations and low-income individuals. For the last 8 years, Ora has volunteered for Tax-Aid as a tax expert and has served as co-site manager of a Tax Aid clinic for the last 7 years.
During law school, Ora served as a supervising and senior executive editor for the Berkeley Business Law Journal and was a recipient of the Berkeley Law and Economics Fellowship.
Education & Admissions
J.D., University of California, Berkeley, School of Law
Order of the Coif
B.A., Economics with highest honors
Philosophy with honors
University of California, Davis
Phi Beta Kappa
Admitted to practice in California
Member of the State Bar of California Taxation Section, the American Bar Association Section of Taxation and the International Fiscal Association