Howard represents technology-based clients in patent litigation matters and post-grant proceedings, such as inter partes reviews. He has technical experience in the area of lithium-ion batteries, electric vehicles, semiconductors, semiconductor manufacturing equipment, and LCD and OLED display technologies.
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Howard had a substantial career in the lithium-ion battery industry working for Panasonic and Sanyo Electric Company developing new products in the areas of electric vehicle and energy storage technologies. Before joining Fenwick, he was a senior associate at another Am Law 100 firm, where he focused on patent litigation, patent preparation and prosecution, and other technology matters. Howard has represented clients in the lithium-ion battery, electric vehicle, semiconductor, software, telecommunications, industrial, automotive, and oil and gas sectors.
Howard was Chair of the Community Outreach Committee for the Intellectual Property Section of the State Bar of Texas. He also served on the Board of Directors for the Japan-America Society of Dallas Fort Worth.
While in law school, he served as a judicial intern for the Honorable Barbara M.G. Lynn of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas.
Prior Firm Experience
- Represented a Japanese LCD manufacturer in the defense of a patent infringement action relating to LCD modules in the Eastern District of Texas and inter partes review proceedings before the PTAB
- Represented a Japanese LCD manufacturer in a patent rights enforcement campaign against a major Chinese competitor LCD manufacturer
- Represented a major lithium-ion battery manufacturer in the preparation of a patent rights enforcement campaign against several competitor battery manufacturers
- Represented a Dutch semiconductor lithography equipment manufacturer and a German semiconductor optics manufacturer in a 28 U.S.C. § 1782 action in the Northern District of California related to underlying competitor patent litigation in Japan, Germany and the Netherlands
- Represented a Japanese lithium-ion battery separator and material manufacturer in the defense of a potential patent infringement matter relating to batteries used in full electric and hybrid electric vehicles
- Represented two VoIP software companies in the defense of a patent infringement action relating to caller ID generation and substitution in the Eastern District of Texas and Northern District of California
- Represented an optical communications company in the defense of a patent infringement action relating to coding schemes for signal transmission in optical communications networks in the Eastern District of Texas
- Represented a leading Chinese manufacturer of motors before the PTAB in two inter partes review matters challenging patents relating to motors used in HVAC systems
- Represented a Chinese LED lighting distributor in the defense of a potential patent infringement action relating to LED lighting strings in the Eastern District of Texas
- Represented an oil and gas company in a patent infringement action relating to subterranean shale oil and gas drilling technology in the Eastern District of Texas
- Represented an industrial parts manufacturer in a patent infringement action related to industrial casters in the Central District of California
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- “Loose Lips Sink Ships … and Patents,” IP Insights E-communication, May 17, 2017 (co-author)
- “NPE Licensee Now, Reluctant ITC Discovery Participant Later: Satisfying Domestic Industry Activity Through Licensees,” High-Tech Law & Litigation E-communication, April 19, 2017 (co-author)
- “New NY Department of Financial Services Cybersecurity Requirements in Effect,” Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Insights E-communication, March 1, 2017 (co-author)
- “The Patent Landscape in the Lithium-Ion Battery Industry,” 2016 Next Generation Energy Storage Conference, San Diego, CA, April 19, 2016 (presenter)
- “Lithium-Ion Battery Patent Landscape – A Patent Portfolio Review,” Lexology, March 18, 2016 (co-author)
- “Patents & Trademarks for Coders, Inventors & Budding Young Entrepreneurs,” EagleHacks Hackathon, Allen, TX, April 2-3, 2016 (presenter)
- “Intellectual Property for Chinese Entrepreneurs in America,” Houston Asian Chamber of Commerce meeting, April 2016 (presenter)
Education & Admissions
J.D., Southern Methodist University School of Law
M.S., Electrical Engineering
Southern Methodist University
Master of Pacific International Affairs, International Management
University of California, San Diego
Admitted to practice in California and Texas
Not admitted to practice in Washington
Admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and the U.S. District Courts for the Northern District of California and the Eastern District of Texas