Tom appears regularly before the US Department of Justice (DOJ), the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), and State Attorneys General Offices.
He often represents clients in Hart-Scott-Rodino Act reviews of mergers and acquisitions, and in civil and criminal antitrust investigations of alleged anticompetitive conduct.
Tom also advises a wide range of clients on antitrust issues, including intellectual property agreements, distribution arrangements, joint ventures and other competitor collaborations, and pre-merger notification requirements in the United States and international jurisdictions.
Tom has significant experience in a variety of industries, including aerospace, aggregates, agriculture, air cargo, airlines, aquaculture, biotechnology, chemicals, computer, counterterrorism products, dairy, defense, food and beverages, health care and hospitals, industrial gases, life sciences, medical devices, medical imaging, metals, music, natural gas, pharmaceuticals, private equity, radio, satellite telecommunications, semiconductors, software, steel, stock exchange, transportation, timber and vitamins.
Tom participates in the American Bar Association’s leadership and is currently co-chair of the ABA’s Antitrust Section’s Pricing Conduct Committee. He was formerly a vice chair of the ABA Antitrust Section's State Antitrust Enforcement Committee and Programs and Teleseminars Committee. Tom is also ranked among the leading antitrust lawyers in the United States in several prominent directories, including Chambers & Partners, which provide recommendations based on the opinions of peers and clients.
- Advising the London Stock Exchange Group on the U.S. and global merger control aspects of its $27B deal to acquire Refinitiv
- Advising Intel, a global manufacturer of computer microprocessors and computing devices, on its $16.7B acquisition of Altera (the largest in the company’s history)
- Advising London Stock Exchange Group on the antitrust aspects of its acquisition of the Frank Russell Company, the owner of the Russell 2000 stock market index and operator of asset-management and stock market indexing businesses, and subsequent sale of the asset management arm, Russell Investments
- Advising major investment banks on multijurisdictional investigations by antitrust and financial regulators into alleged price manipulation of the benchmark, foreign exchange and credit default swap industries
- Representing PepsiCo, Inc. and Bottling Group LLC in civil litigation filed by independent bottler Mahaska Bottling Company in the Southern District Court of Iowa, in which Mahaska alleged price fixing and predatory pricing, attempts to monopolize pricing and price discrimination in violation of the Sherman and Robinson-Patman Acts and state antitrust laws
- Representing Bank of America Merrill Lynch in its defense of a Department of Justice Antitrust Division investigation and two European Commission investigations into alleged infringements in the credit default swaps (CDS) market
- Advising General Dynamics in connection with the the Department of Justice Antitrust Division investigation of the sale of its SATCOM Technologies antenna systems business to Communications & Power Industries LLC
- Representing Emirates in air cargo international cartel investigations and related private litigation
* Includes experience from a previous firm
Education & Admissions
J.D., University of Michigan Law School
B.A., Vanderbilt University
Admitted to practice in the District of Columbia and Illinois