About Our Tax Practice
Fenwick & West has achieved a reputation as having one of the nation's leading domestic and international tax practices. The tax group's exciting and sophisticated practice stems from its client base. Our tax clients represent every geographic area of the United States, as well as a number of foreign countries, and have included over 100 Fortune 500 companies.
- 20+ tax attorneys with a broad range of corporate, partnership, and international tax experience: represented well over 50 Fortune 100 companies in major federal tax matters, and 100 of the Fortune 500 companies.
- Extensive experience in international tax planning, M&A and joint ventures.
- Represented corporate clients in over 70 Tax Court cases.
- Broad and deep transfer pricing practice, covering APAs, competent authority and dispute resolution.
- Worked on over $80B in M&A and joint venture activity in the past 12 months.
- Nationally recognized for successful tax dispute resolution and litigation: successfully resolved well over 100 IRS administrative appeals proceedings.
- Have in process or favorably resolved this past year 22 IRS Appeals proceedings. They involve Appeals matters for large corporate clients in Texas (5), NYC (5), Boston (3), California (3) and elsewhere. Two are for Fortune Top 10 companies.
- Recently won tax victory for CBS in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims—secured summary judgment for our client. Currently represent other large multinational corporations in the US Tax Court.
- Also won landmark Ninth Circuit and Tax Court cases for Xilinx relating to cost-sharing. Final, favorable resolution of the Xilinx transfer pricing case—cited by The Wall Street Journal as "the biggest tax case in the last 20 years"—affirmed on appeal to the 9th Circuit.
Honors & Awards
- Awarded First Tier status as one of the "World’s Leading Tax Planning Firms" and as one of the "World’s Leading Transactional Firms" by International Tax Review 2012.
- Awarded First Tier status by World Tax Review every year, most recently in World Tax 2012.
- 6 Fenwick tax partners appear in Euromoney’s widely-respected "World’s Leading Tax Advisors" 2012.
- International Tax Review (2012) named Fenwick & West "Americas M&A Tax Firm of the Year."
- Fenwick & West tax attorneys are on Euromoney's "World's Leading Tax Advisors," Euromoney's "World's Top 25 Tax Advisors," and the Euromoney's "World's Top 25 Women Tax Advisors."
- Honored by International Tax Review as the "2008 U.S. Tax Court Firm of the Year" for tax litigation and controversy matters (also won this award in 2006).