This is the 12th consecutive year Fenwick has been ranked among the top trademark firms in the guide
Fenwick has been named a national gold-tier firm in the 2022 edition of the World Trademark Review (WTR) 1000. The firm also received a gold-tier designation in California. The gold-tier ranking is the highest designation in the directory, placing Fenwick among the nation’s top trademark firms.
In its latest write-up, WTR 1000 notes that “the list of go-to firms for trademarks starts and ends with Fenwick & West, which possesses virtually unmatched expertise in protecting brand interests across the globe. Its litigation and prosecution teams work in perfect alignment, ensuring total IP security; the firm also continues to lead the way in the development and implementation of cutting-edge legal tech tools, enabling it to meet the highest standards of quality on an efficient and cost-effective basis.”
Eight Fenwick partners have also been individually recognized in this year’s guide. WTR 1000 named five Fenwick partners in this year’s national rankings: Sally Abel, Andrew Bridges, Connie Ellerbach, Karen Webb, and Jedediah Wakefield. They are also top ranked in California in their respective categories, alongside Eric Ball and Kathryn Fritz. In California, Fenwick has more partners recognized in the gold tier than any other firm, reinforcing the firm’s strength in the region. As a testament to the firm’s expanding presence in New York, WTR 1000 recognized partner Mark Jansen for his expertise both in prosecution and enforcement.
Additional details about Fenwick’s top-ranked trademark lawyers:
- Sally Abel: The publication has recognized Fenwick’s trademark group founder Sally as a “doyenne of trademark law.” She once again received a “gold-tier” ranking in both the US and California in the prosecution and strategy category. Sally has been recognized in WTR 1000 for 12 consecutive years.
- Eric Ball: Eric appears on WTR 1000’s list of California’s leading trademark litigators for the sixth consecutive year in the enforcement and litigation category. “Eric has the most nuanced knowledge of trademark law but also knows how to present compelling stories. He takes the time to understand his clients’ business needs and offers valuable advice on strategy along with candid opinions on issues arising in the course of litigation,” WTR 1000 reported.
- Andrew Bridges: WTR 1000 ranks Andrew among the country’s top trademark litigators, again recognizing his enforcement and litigation work in the gold tier. He also continues to receive top recognition in California, where he is one of just 12 lawyers recognized in the gold tier for enforcement and litigation. “Bridges is an amazing high-stakes litigator and excellent out-of-the-box thinker who identifies creative and powerful arguments missed by others,” WTR 1000 noted.
- Connie Ellerbach: For the 12th consecutive year, WTR 1000 recognizes trademark chair Connie among the top lawyers in its prosecution and strategy category. She ranks among the top tiers nationally and in the gold tier in California. One source noted to WTR 1000, “We love working with Connie because of her global knowledge, pragmatism and software and technology industry experience.” Additionally, Connie is noted as “extremely adept at managing international trademark work and thinking strategically about brands and trademark-related issues in the emerging technologies space.”
- Kathryn Fritz: Kathryn has once again been ranked in California by WTR 1000 in its enforcement and litigation category. Kathryn’s practice concentrates on business and IP litigation, with an emphasis on trademark, right of publicity and copyright, especially as applied to new technology areas. WTR 1000 wrote that “As a former managing partner, she knows how to get the best out of the firm’s resources and gets everyone pulling in the same direction, which is crucial to success in the weightiest cases.”
- Mark Jansen: WTR 1000 has recognized Mark among the top lawyers in New York in its enforcement and litigation and prosecution and strategy categories. Mark has a proven track record of providing practical yet creative guidance to many of the world’s leading innovators in highly complex multijurisdictional trademark issues which require a strong understanding of the technology and regulatory landscape at play. He serves as a strategic partner to his cutting-edge clients, advising them on the nuances and sensitivities affecting their bottom line. This includes pulling together international strategy and tactically building and enforcing their portfolios.
- Jedediah Wakefield: Chair of both Fenwick’s litigation group and trademark litigation practice, Jed ranks in the gold tier in the enforcement and litigation category, both in California and nationally. WTR 1000 remarked on Jed’s strong leadership of the well-represented trademark litigation group.
- Karen Webb: WTR 1000 again ranks Karen as a top lawyer nationally in the prosecution and strategy category. She is one of only three lawyers who earned the gold ranking in California for both categories this year: enforcement and litigation, and prosecution and strategy. WTR 1000 wrote that Karen “is an outstanding team player who integrates with in-house departments seamlessly; her writing is accessible and her counselling style is creative and practical, while her dedication means she is there for her clients through thick and thin.” This is the 8th consecutive year WTR 1000 has honored Karen among the top California lawyers.
World Trademark Review 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals is an annual guide published by World Trademark Review honoring the top law firms and lawyers working on trademark prosecution and enforcement matters. In compiling the rankings, WTR 1000 researchers consider information provided from law firms on their work over the past year, insight from other legal professionals, and client input. More information on the methodology behind WTR 1000 is available through the World Trademark Review website. Full rankings: United States, California and New York.