Angel Chiang focuses her practice on a broad variety of litigation matters to support clients in the high technology and life sciences industries. She regularly handles privacy and data security lawsuits and investigations and defends companies in consumer class actions involving claims of privacy, unfair competition, and fraud. She also advises consumer-facing Internet companies in developing privacy programs and practices, and in responding to regulatory agency requests for consumer data.
Angel has represented clients in software, hardware and digital media industries. Some of her representative matters include:
- In re Intuit Data Litig., No. 15-CV-01778-EJD (N.D. Cal.): Representing Intuit in consumer privacy class action in defense of negligence, fraud, and unfair competition claims stemming from alleged tax fraud committed using Intuit’s TurboTax software;
- McKenna v. WhisperText, LLC, No. 14-CV-00424-PSG (N.D. Cal.): Successfully obtained dismissal of complaint in class action against mobile app developer WhisperText for alleged violations of the Telephone Consumer Privacy Act. Currently representing WhisperText in pending Ninth Circuit appeal;
- Harnish v. TicToc Planet, No. 14-CV-02321 (N.D. Cal.): Defended and successfully settled class action against mobile app developer alleging violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act;
- Counseling advertising network on data collection and use practices;
- Represented mobile app developers in FTC privacy investigations; and
- Assisted multi-national information technology enterprise company in internal investigation of alleged misappropriation of trade secrets.
Prior to joining Fenwick & West, Angel clerked for Judge John T. Noonan, Jr. of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and Judge Edmond E. Chang of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. Angel also worked as a litigation associate in the San Francisco office of Covington & Burling LLP. Before law school, Angel worked at Google where she managed sales and developed marketing strategies for advertisers in the retail and technology industries.