Gordon Davidson advises high technology companies, clean technology and life sciences companies. Gordy’s clients range from startups to Fortune 1000 companies. He has worked on over 50 public offerings and has represented boards of directors, audit committees and executives in numerous special investigations.
He has also acted as lead counsel on over 100 mergers and acquisitions valued at more than $75 billion in the aggregate, including:
- $19 billion acquisition of WhatsApp Inc. by Facebook
- $17 billion acquisition by VeriSign Inc. of Network Solutions Inc.
- $13 billion acquisition by Symantec Corporation of Veritas Software in 2005
and the sale of Veritas by Symantec in 2015
- $6.9 billion acquisition by Cisco Systems, Inc. of Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.
- $6.5 billion acquisition by Exodus Communications Inc. of GlobalCenter
- $4 billion merger of Spansion Inc. with Cypress Semiconductor
- $3.75 billion acquisition of SuccessFactors, Inc. by SAP SE
- $3.4 billion acquisition of Macromedia, Inc. by Adobe, Inc.
- $3.0 billion acquisition of Giant Interactive Group Inc. by Giant Investment Limited and Giant Merger Limited
- $2.5 billion acquisition by VERITAS Software Corporation of Seagate Software
- $2.4 billion acquisition of Data Domain, Inc. by EMC Corporation
- $1.78 billion acquisition of Spreadtrum Communications, Inc. by Tsinghua Unigroup Ltd.
- $1.4 billion acquisition of Elantec by Intersil
- $1.4 billion acquisition by Intuit Inc. of Digital Insight
- $1.2 billion acquisition of Ocular Sciences, Inc. by The Cooper Companies
Gordy has spoken on current issues in capital formation and IPOs at the PLI and Northwestern Securities Regulation Institutes and on governance issues at the Stanford Directors College, taught courses on Venture Capital and Mergers & Acquisitions at Stanford Law School, and chaired the Practising Law Institute programs on Private Placements and Mergers & Acquisitions of High Technology Companies. He is a member of the American College of Governance Counsel and has served on the boards of directors or non-profit organizations, including BayBio, Children’s Health Council, Pacific Community Ventures and Fresh Lifelines for Youth.
Prior to and during law school, Gordy worked as a computer systems engineer at Stanford Research Institute and at Measurex Corporation. Following law school, he was a law clerk for Judge Ben C. Duniway in the United States Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco.
Ranked by Chambers USA as:
- a Star Individual in Venture Capital in California (2013 – 2018)
- first tier nationally in Startups and Emerging Companies (2016 – 2018)
- first tier in Capital Markets in California (2013 – 2018)
- first tier in Corporate/M&A in Northern California (2012 -2018)
Other Awards and Recognitions:
- one of the 100 Most Influential Lawyers in America by the National Law Journal in 2000, 2006, and 2013
- "Corporate Lawyer of the Year" for the Silicon Valley by Best Lawyers in 2009 and 2013
- “Securities Lawyer of the Year” for the San Francisco Area by Best Lawyers in 2010 and 2014
- one of the 10 best corporate lawyers in California by California Lawyer magazine in August 2004
- one of a dozen lawyers named to the AlwaysOn Power Players West list for 2011
- one of the Top 25 Biotech Lawyers in California for 2011 by the Daily Journal
- one of the top 100 venture capital deal makers by Forbes magazine’s Midas List in 2001 and 2004 - 2007
- one of the top 100 lawyers in California by the Daily Journal (2012-2016)
- one of three leading lawyers in Silicon Valley by SuperLawyers magazine (2008)
- one of "100 People Who Changed Our World" by Upside magazine in October 2001
- named to the “Global Silicon Valley Hall of Fame” in 2016