Dennis DeBroeck has worked in Silicon Valley for 40 years advising startups to public companies, as well as venture capitalists and investment bankers. His practice includes legal and business advice on startup issues, venture capital financings, mergers and acquisitions, public offerings, securities law matters, corporate governance and business transactions.
Dennis has been recognized as one of The Best Lawyers in America in corporate law, mergers and acquisitions and securities; as one of the leading corporate lawyers in the US West Coast by Euromoney magazine; as a Northern California Super Lawyer in securities and corporate finance and mergers and acquisitions by San Francisco magazine; and one of Silicon Valley’s Top Lawyers by San Jose Magazine.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Private company acquisitions by Shoretel, Silicon Image, Lexar Media, Adaptec and Niku
- RAE Systems going private
- Canesta’s acquisition by Microsoft
- Lexar Media’s $900 million acquisition by Micron
- Handspring’s acquisition by Palm
- Kintana’s $225 million acquisition by Mercury Interactive
- Unity Semiconductor’s acquisition by Rambus
- Radia’s acquisition by Texas Instruments
- Global Locate’s acquisition by Broadcom
- Spectrum Astro’s acquisition by General Dynamics
- GenOA’s acquisition by Finisar
- Emotient’s acquisition by Apple
- Data Domain’s $2.4 billon acquisition by EMC in a topping bid tender offer
- Excess Bandwidth’s $315 million acquisition by Virata
- Pure Atria’s $900 million acquisition by Rational Software
- Micron Electronics’ tender offer for Netframe and sale of its PC business to Gores and merger with Interland
- Integrated Device Technology’s acquisition of Quality Semiconductor
- Tekelec’s acquisition of IEX
- Pemstar’s acquisition of Pacific Consultants
- Wayfarer’s acquisition by Vantive
- Cloudscape’s acquisition by Informix
- Software Component Group’s acquisition by Integrated Systems
Public Offerings and Securities Law Experience:
- Public offerings, convertible debt offerings and shelf registrations for such clients as: Data Domain, ShoreTel, Lexar Media, Handspring, Silicon Image, Adaptec, Integrated Device Technology, Niku, Hybrid Networks, ESS and other companies.
- Investment bankers in a variety of public offerings for software, semiconductor, semiconductor capital equipment and other companies including Alteon Websystems, OnTrak Systems, Rackable Systems, Catalyst Semiconductor, Integrated Device Technology, Sigma Designs and others.
- Advice on spinoffs, tracking stocks, going private and buyout transactions.
- Advice to more than 25 public companies and boards of directors on corporate governance, Sarbanes-Oxley, federal securities issues, mergers and acquisitions, unsolicited acquisitions proposal (including Mitel’s proposal to acquire Shoretel), activist shareholders, proxy contests and investigations.
Dennis served for a number of years on Fenwick & West’s Executive Committee and Compensation Committee. He also served as the head of the firm’s Corporate Practice Group.
Prior to joining Fenwick & West, Dennis’ career focused on technology-based companies as a partner in a multinational law firm, founder of an entrepreneurial law firm and general counsel of a high-growth company. Dennis has served on the California State Bar Corporation’s Committee and given speeches on corporate governance, public offerings, venture capital, R&D partnerships and securities law matters.
Dennis received his law degree from UCLA, where he graduated Order of the Coif and served on the UCLA Law Review. He attended the University of Colorado as an undergraduate where he received a Bachelor of Science in Business, with emphasis on Accounting and Finance.
Dennis’ non-profit activities include serving as Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors of Peninsula Open Space Trust (“POST”) and as a member of Silicon Valley Social Venture Fund (“SV2”).